Zoom Lens for AE-1

johnnystiletto

The f3.5 version of the 35-105 is a very highly regarded zoom as are the other nFD mid range zooms the 28-85mm f4.0 35-105mm f3.5 and 50-135mm f3.5 nFDs are all great zooms. Another slightly shorter zoom in this range that recieves high marks from the current uers is the Tokina 28-70mm f3.5/4.5 SD it also will sell for about 1/3to 1/4 of the Canon zooms. The Vivitar 28-90mm f2.8 Varifocal is also highly regarded. I currently own all of these lenses except the Vivitar which I have in the past. I highly recomend them each.

Mark W.

If you are looking in the telephoto range then all three of the Canon zooms are good the 75-200mm f4.5 while a bit slower then the 70-210 and 80-200 it is also very light and compact using 52mm filters so makes a great travel or backpacking zoom. The 70-210 f4.0 is a one touch and can be well suited to dfast action such as sports and auto racing. The 80-200 is a two touch and better suited to close-up and more deliberate work. Also the front element does not rotate on the 80-200 so polarizers and ringflashes are easier to use with it.

The best lens in this range is the 80-200mm f4.0L nFD (hard to beat that L glass)

The Tokina 80-200mm f2.8 AT-X is a highly recomended and FAST third party zoom. Tamron also makes a zoom this fast I have heard good things but never owned one myself.

Others are the Vivitar Series 1 70-210 with the f3.5 and 67mm filter size as well as the 70-210 f2.8 with a 62mm filter size there were five different series 1's made the first three are quite good the last two are much less well spoken of.

I have the 70-210 f4 zoom, and have enjoyed it. But I've gone to

using mostly fixed-focus, and have the 100mm macro, which is

really a fine lens.

Concerning the other zoom spectrum, if you have a 299T strobe,

then consider the 28-85mm f4 zoom, as it has the same

markings on its extendable head (28mm, 35mm and 85mm). I

am very satisfied with this lens, and have used it as my only lens

on some hikes. It's great for scenic photography, as I enjoy

having the 28mm ability for places like Crater Lake, Oregon.

35mm really would not do it justice at all.

I took a trip into China with only two lenses, the 28-85mm zoom

and a 50mm f1.4 for low light photography. I wasn't sorry.

John