Zeiss ZM 35mm f2.8

Has anyone used this lens and can give a review? The internet is rather lacking

on this newer ZM lens. I have a Summilux 35mm f1.4 lens already and was looking

for a small but sharper 35. I can't afford the Summicron 35mm ASPH f2.0 and I've

already read that the ZM 35mm f2 doesn't measure up. What do people think?

Should I just bit the hard bullet for a used Summicron or is this new ZM 35 f2.8

good enough? I don't need the few extra low stops either. Thanks<div>00PqII-49489684.jpg.860fa7f841e70381d561d11cfd05c6ec.jpg</div>

What on earth makes you think the Zeiss 35mm / f2.0 Biogon doesn't "measure up"? All things considered, it may be the best 35mm prime on the market. I don't understand this comment. I've owned both it and the pre-asph 35mm Summicron and, let me tell you, it's a very close call between them. The Biogon is sharper...at all apertures except diffraction limited ones. The pre-asph Summicron has a classic look to the images it renders.

"Tim. the pre-asph Summilux is a great "classic" lens. Edges can get interesting

wide-open and it does tend to "smear" light spots in the OOF areas of the image.

Plenty sharp though and a great compact lens. The 35f2 Biogon is a spectacular

lens by any standard. It is a larger lens than the 35f1.4 and the 35f2.8. The

combination of the Biogon 35f2.8 and the 35f1.4 Pre-asph is a ggod fit. The

Summilux for low light and "vintage" black and white look. The Biogon 35/2.8 for

cutting sharp stuff in good light. Just carry both and at 6pm you switch from

f2.8 to 1.4 and you should be set!"

Thanks Derek, I was sold by this comment from Tom A. I'll be buying one very

soon. I'd still like to know how it fairs against the Summicron 35mm f2.

Hey Dan, "measure up" was a bad choice of words. I love Zeiss ZM lens. I have the 50mm f2 (my favorite lens over my Summilux ASPH f1.4) and the 25mm f2.8. I was just looking for a sharp smaller lens that was comparable to the Summicron 35mm f2.0. Thanks

I agree with Ron! I use the Zeiss lineup for the Contax G2 and compared to my limited Leica stuff, the resulting images from the Zeiss line-up is just as good at less than 1/2 the price of Leica. I recently splurged on the Zeiss ZM 50mm f/1.5 and am very pleased with the results. The hardware and finish is very nice and overall, the lens performs well on an MP. As things go, after 40 years of acquiring gear, I think my techniques need more attention than my gear . . . but I could be wrong! :-)

• 1 month later...