Zeiss 80mm C - is this lens flare?

asher

<p>Hi to all,<br>

I've been doing some shooting with an old Zeiss 80mm C lens (uncoated), and I'm seeing occasional shots like the one below, usually with shots that are backlit. I shoot with a lens shade always.</p>

<p>(a) Is this lens flare?<br>

(b) If this is lens flare, are the coated lenses relatively resistant to this?<br>

© If this is not lens flare, what is it?</p>

<p>Thanks,</p>

<p>Asher</p><div>00S7TI-105265584.jpg.0bedaacc00b76f5b3600ff993782aca7.jpg</div>

<p>I think it's flare, pretty sure. Are you using one of those old silver square hoods. Looks like outer part of image is protected from light source as you get to center and element is exposed looks like flare in square shape of hood. Are you using any filters or is front bare? that could be trouble too.</p>

<p>First: a silver Hasselblad Planar is coated. Also the very earliest Hasselblad lenses from the late 1940s/early 1950s were coated. Anything else is plain nonsense. In the early 1970s T* coating was introduced which is an improved multilayer coating from Zeiss.<br>

A light leak does not necessarily show on the side of the dark slide slot. So first change the darkslide seal. If the problem remains, well - than at least the most likely cause is ruled out.<br>

Ulrik</p>

<p>Thanks for your responses.<br>

Dave Wilson: I'm using an old hood, but it's black. I'm not using any filters. But I agree- the square shape is likely the result of the square shape of the hood.</p>

<p>Chauncey and Ulrik: I was suspicious of a light leak, however, this problem mostly seems to occur on frames that are backlit, and only occurs on 1-2 frames per roll. However, I don't recall which frames were sitting there when I removed the back, so perhaps there's a problem with the seal only when the slide is inserted or removed. However (again) I tested this back when I first bought it, removing it and replacing it several times for several frames on the roll and there was no evidence of this problem.</p>

<p>Chauncey: I appreciate the clarification regarding the lens coatings. I am not familiar with the history of this gear. Do you think that a newer T* lens would ameliorate this problem, assuming that this is indeed lens flare?</p>

<p>Thanks<br>

<br /> Asher</p>

<p>David, I know it would seem that the leak would show on the "right" side of the image since that is where the darkslide slot is, but it is up above the film like a window in a wall. The wall below the window shades the film at its feet and the light strikes across the room, glancing across the floor.</p>