Yonguno Flashes

Discussion in 'Lighting Equipment' started by anthony_frawley|1, Jan 22, 2014.

1. I have an SB-800 and have recently bought two Yongnao 560iii's (manual with built in wireless)... I am good with the manual since I will be using them as slave or hair/backlight flashes... but I want a second TTL flash
    I was going to go with the 560ex but just saw that there are other TTL flashes made by them, the 565 is one, the 568ii is another...
    Which one would you prefir and could you tell me the difference? I google it and oddly enough there are almost no results other than supposedly the 560 is more powerful, yet cheaper.... that leads me to think there is more to consider...
    Tony

2. I went from an sb800 to the 560iii's because i just didt like the interface of the nikon.
    I did so due to the writings at http://www.strobist.blogspot.com/. So I might suggest
    you poke around there as well. Im not sure they make the 560 any more, but I have
    found it difficult to find definitive info on the Yongunos.

3. If you can afford $299 and want manual and TTL ability in the speedlight, the Phottix Mitros for Nikon kill it. I have two and I tell you, power wise they match my 2 SB-800's and mu SB-910. They work just as well, are built as good if not better and have a better warranty. They have a 3.5mm jack which I prefer and come with an adapter to accept my external battery packs.
    I also have two Yongnuo 560 II's. They have never failed me, they are a bit rougher in finish but they get it done. They are not as powerful as either the Nikon flashes or the Phottix. In practice and real life you will see a difference no matter what the specs say.
    For my needs, I shoot manual most of the time and TTL some times but like having speedlights that can do both versus carrying half and half.

4. Before I switched to Ricoh GR, I'm looking for a flash for my Nikon DSLR, too.
    Oloong SP-700 just started to ship. I'm not sure when it'll be available in US. But this flash just seems "too perfect to be $200". Canon version has been out for some time, so far so good. But I'm still waiting for reviews for the Nikon version.
    Another interesting flash that caught my eyes is the Triopo TR-120. I like the flexibility of more WS and the convenience of TTL.
    But it turns out that I'm so happy with the GR that I have no interest to spend money on the Nikon system any more.

5. Sounds as if those 'cheap' Chinese made flashes aren't so cheap anymore. With a budget of around $299 I'd buy a Nissin Di866 MkII, no hesitation. Japanese build quality and reliability and very slightly more power than Nikon's SB-910. The list of features exceeds that of Nikon's guns too, with a secondary flash and quick-change battery holders. CLS, i-TTL and Auto FP capable, as well as having AA mode and simple optical slaving built-in, which means they'll slave with almost anything.
    I'd probably buy a Yong-Nuo at a "throwaway" price, but I don't think I'd be tempted to spend serious money on them.
    Edit: "But this flash just seems "too perfect to be $200"." - Why? We're getting regularly ripped off on the price of kit, just because it has a photographic use. There's far more materials and technology in a $100 computer monitor than goes into a crummy little hotshoe flash. I know there are economies of scale to consider, but there's also a law of diminishing returns. Nikon might be finally realising that because they're now offering cashbacks on most of their flash range.

6. For buying simple manual flashes, the Chinese Yongnuo's might be worth the gamble for the $70 they go for. I have two of them and crossing my fingers they are still working for the relatively short time I have owned them. Anything outside of a basic flash and you will probably run into quality control and communication issues. For anything complex like TTL I would avoid them and buy used Nikon flashes. TTL is complex and proprietary to the Camera system. I have yet to find any Chinese made radio triggers that communicate manual flash every time and that's a relatively simple technology in this day and age. (2 of the three I bought are now totally dead or misfire constantly). Something more complicated like TTL communication is probably a serious gamble IMO and not worth a $200 investment.

7. >>>I have an SB-800 and have recently bought two Yongnao 560iii's (manual with built in wireless)... I am good with the manual since I will be using them as slave or hair/backlight flashes... but I want a second TTL flash I was going to go with the 560ex but just saw that there are other TTL flashes made by them, the 565 is one, the 568ii is another...
    Do look at the YN565EX. It has TTL, even works with the Commander, for only about $106. See a review comparing it with the SB-800.
    http://www.scantips.com/lights/yongnuo565.html
    The 568 is similar, and it has HSS, but it won't accept an external pack.