Yonguno Flashes

anthony_frawley1

<p>I have an SB-800 and have recently bought two Yongnao 560iii's (manual with built in wireless)... I am good with the manual since I will be using them as slave or hair/backlight flashes... but I want a second TTL flash<br>

I was going to go with the 560ex but just saw that there are other TTL flashes made by them, the 565 is one, the 568ii is another...<br>

Which one would you prefir and could you tell me the difference? I google it and oddly enough there are almost no results other than supposedly the 560 is more powerful, yet cheaper.... that leads me to think there is more to consider...</p>

<p>Tony</p>

<p>If you can afford $299 and want manual and TTL ability in the speedlight, the Phottix Mitros for Nikon kill it. I have two and I tell you, power wise they match my 2 SB-800's and mu SB-910. They work just as well, are built as good if not better and have a better warranty. They have a 3.5mm jack which I prefer and come with an adapter to accept my external battery packs. <br>

I also have two Yongnuo 560 II's. They have never failed me, they are a bit rougher in finish but they get it done. They are not as powerful as either the Nikon flashes or the Phottix. In practice and real life you will see a difference no matter what the specs say. <br>

For my needs, I shoot manual most of the time and TTL some times but like having speedlights that can do both versus carrying half and half. </p>

<p>Before I switched to Ricoh GR, I'm looking for a flash for my Nikon DSLR, too.<br>

Oloong SP-700 just started to ship. I'm not sure when it'll be available in US. But this flash just seems "too perfect to be $200". Canon version has been out for some time, so far so good. But I'm still waiting for reviews for the Nikon version.<br>

Another interesting flash that caught my eyes is the Triopo TR-120. I like the flexibility of more WS and the convenience of TTL. <br>

But it turns out that I'm so happy with the GR that I have no interest to spend money on the Nikon system any more.</p>

<p>Sounds as if those 'cheap' Chinese made flashes aren't so cheap anymore. With a budget of around $299 I'd buy a Nissin Di866 MkII, no hesitation. Japanese build quality and reliability and very slightly more power than Nikon's SB-910. The list of features exceeds that of Nikon's guns too, with a secondary flash and quick-change battery holders. CLS, i-TTL and Auto FP capable, as well as having AA mode and simple optical slaving built-in, which means they'll slave with almost anything.</p>

<p>I'd probably buy a Yong-Nuo at a "throwaway" price, but I don't think I'd be tempted to spend serious money on them.</p>

<p>Edit: "But this flash just seems "too perfect to be $200"." - Why? We're getting regularly ripped off on the price of kit, just because it has a photographic use. There's far more materials and technology in a $100 computer monitor than goes into a crummy little hotshoe flash. I know there are economies of scale to consider, but there's also a law of diminishing returns. Nikon might be finally realising that because they're now offering cashbacks on most of their flash range.</p>

<p>For buying simple manual flashes, the Chinese Yongnuo's might be worth the gamble for the $70 they go for. I have two of them and crossing my fingers they are still working for the relatively short time I have owned them. Anything outside of a basic flash and you will probably run into quality control and communication issues. For anything complex like TTL I would avoid them and buy used Nikon flashes. TTL is complex and proprietary to the Camera system. I have yet to find any Chinese made radio triggers that communicate manual flash every time and that's a relatively simple technology in this day and age. (2 of the three I bought are now totally dead or misfire constantly). Something more complicated like TTL communication is probably a serious gamble IMO and not worth a $200 investment.</p>

<p>>>>I have an SB-800 and have recently bought two Yongnao 560iii's (manual with built in wireless)... I am good with the manual since I will be using them as slave or hair/backlight flashes... but I want a second TTL flash I was going to go with the 560ex but just saw that there are other TTL flashes made by them, the 565 is one, the 568ii is another...</p>

<p>Do look at the YN565EX. It has TTL, even works with the Commander, for only about $106. See a review comparing it with the SB-800.<br>

http://www.scantips.com/lights/yongnuo565.html<br>

The 568 is similar, and it has HSS, but it won't accept an external pack.</p>