Yes, Indeed.

pavel_l.

Well, i like being asked why i took a photo. Even when i may not have a clear idea why. And especially if i present it to others for consideration by hanging it for review. So... what is it that draws you to this. In some (maybe all?) of your past posts for critique my take is that you favor a message. Is it a message? irony, time, abandonment.. ? The technical characteristics don't direct my attention in any particular direction. A lot of white drawing me away from content.

I just don't know what's up here. And so you know and have some context... i hear that often about my photos.

• Like 1

n e y e

Pavel, firstly, I wonder why you shot this photo, since the subject matter isn't particularly interesting. To me, there's at least one approach that may save it. First, crop about halfway from the left border to the phone. Secondly, burn that area. Thirdly dodge the phone per se, but not the surrounding enclosure. Finally, sharpen to your taste.

Well, i like being asked why i took a photo. Even when i may not have a clear idea why. And especially if i present it to others for consideration by hanging it for review. So... what is it that draws you to this. In some (maybe all?) of your past posts for critique my take is that you favor a message. Is it a message? irony, time, abandonment.. ? The technical characteristics don't direct my attention in any particular direction. A lot of white drawing me away from content.

I just don't know what's up here. And so you know and have some context... i hear that often about my photos.

I remember those!

Pavel, firstly, I wonder why you shot this photo, since the subject matter isn't particularly interesting. To me, there's at least one approach that may save it. First, crop about halfway from the left border to the phone. Secondly, burn that area. Thirdly dodge the phone per se, but not the surrounding enclosure. Finally, sharpen to your taste.

Thank you for response.

It's not easy to strike the balance between of hints of ideas and leaving the space for viewers.

This photo is about the treachery of words.

I should point out that the abstract art and surrealism are my favorite streams of fine art, so I try to move my photography in the similar directions.

Cheers.

• Like 1

"... Our perception of the world is a fantasy that coincides with reality."

Chris Frith.

This photo is about the treachery of words.

Are you thinking of the fact that we see the word phone but the actual phone is gone?

If that’s it, I’d say maybe it’s at the very beginnings of Surrealism but comes across to me as more of a pun. Even some of the more simple surrealist images have some kind of nuance and, at best, a depth to their message, often something almost secretive even in the most obvious images.

As important is a refinement in their visual aspects. I recently saw an exhibition of Magritte and, in person, was struck by what a much more sophisticated painter he was than I’d realized before. In books, I was concentrating more on his ideas, but at the show his textures and patterns really played so masterfully with those ideas.

• Like 2

"You talkin' to me?"

Are you thinking of the fact that we see the word phone but the actual phone is gone?

If that’s it, I’d say maybe it’s at the very beginnings of Surrealism but comes across to me as more of a pun. Even some of the more simple surrealist images have some kind of nuance and, at best, a depth to their message, often something almost secretive even in the most obvious images.

As important is a refinement in their visual aspects. I recently saw an exhibition of Magritte and, in person, was struck by what a much more sophisticated painter he was than I’d realized before. In books, I was concentrating more on his ideas, but at the show his textures and patterns really played so masterfully with those ideas.

Sam, I didn't pick up on this aspect of the image until you mentioned it. Once again, I am learning from you.

You are all missing the point. The letter “e” has been struck out by the branch so the word is “phon” which is Swahili for “rubbish”

It’s a transliteration of a biliteration.

At last, a nothing is allowed to become nothing again.

• Like 2

Why do I say things...

You, probably, can't call this a pun. I was trying to play around the notion that words are not the objects.

Some genre of photography have very limited tools, in compare to painting, to tell the story. That why, Sam, you can look on this as a minimalistic phrase.

Cheers.

You are all missing the point. The letter “e” has been struck out by the branch so the word is “phon” which is Swahili for “rubbish”

It’s a transliteration of a biliteration.

Absolutely, You can look on this as you want.

Cheers

At last, a nothing is allowed to become nothing again.

Yes, many saw these movements of the beginning of 20th century as you described.

Cheers

• Like 1

"... Our perception of the world is a fantasy that coincides with reality."

Chris Frith.

You, probably, can't call this a pun.

Yes, I can. That’s how it comes across to me.

I was trying to play around the notion that words are not the objects.

What you may be trying to do is one thing. What I see and think when I look at your photo is something else. As Inoneeye says, interesting to explore further.

"You talkin' to me?"

You could do more with this one or move on with the idea to other photos. For this image you could explore an often used technique of the surrealist and dadaist.. words. ..Using titles or sometimes phrasing within the work. I look at your work as leaning to dada more than surreal and they loved word play. And your quote of intent seems a natural fit. 'words are not the objects' [that they represent]
  • Like 1

n e y e

"As important is a refinement in their visual aspects." sam

I like the simple directness of this image and others you have posted with the messages that you have supplied. What would make them stand out for me would be for you to find your way of connecting the message to the image 'the treachery of words'. Using words is only one option. Post processing can be very effective also. The challenge is made more difficult when the subject does not deliver the message for you. This photo with the lack of refinement in capture and post does not hold my attention long. It seems like a simple record. When you posed your take on what the photo was about I became interested. I don't suggest you dumb it down for the viewer. Finding your way with tools & language to communicate... refinement that would be a win-win.

• Like 1

n e y e

What I'm getting from this conversation is something I've missed before. Your purposely shooting photos with something specific in mind- in this case "The Treachery Of Words"- with a sort of open-ended-ness both in photographic context and and how the words relate to the shot, either directly or indirectly. Leaving it open for interpretation bu the viewer. That's a lot deeper than your images let on, taken at a glance. Commendable to be sure.