Yellow Page Ads, Local Advertising, etc

ajpn

<p>What is the general consensus on using the Yellow Pages to advertise a brand new studio. Is it worth putting out a few extra bucks or not? ANd what about in regards to using it in conjunction with an online Yellow Pages ad.</p>

<p>I know that my work will sell itself, but since I am just now (as in last Thursday) opening a studio I am wondering if I should bother putting in a 1" ad or not in the upcoming book.</p>

<p>I just want to get my name out there as brand ID.</p>

<p>The last time this topic was visited was in 2004 as far as I can tell. Things have changed big time since then.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>It is a little hard to answer your question without knowing what kind of work you do or want to do. In my experience (in business since 1990) the yellow pages are much less important than they used to be. Do you have a website? Is it a site that will impress potential customers with the quality of your work and your professionalism? If that is the case, you might want to simply purchase an extra line in the yellow pages for your web address to direct people there, where they can see samples of your work and decide that you are the photographer they need. By the way, your work won't sell itself without your efforts--I learned that the hard way a long time ago.</p>

<p>Yellow pages, internet yellow pages, google adwords and the host of other options are not all created equal and will vary in effectiveness depending on geography. I used to sell the stuff so I know the pitch. Before you decide on your advertising method you need to know who your ideal client is. Do they have computers? What is their age? ... The answer needs to be more specific than anyone with money. Think about it this way, who do you want calling you? Also look at your most direct competition and how do they advertise. <br>

Advertising usually works best when you have a compelling offer (it doesn't have to be lowest price) aka what is your value, getting to your ideal client? Is your value that you have the lowest price? no other studio within 10 miles? Most experience in the area... Why should they choose you? What sets you apart?<br>

If this is all information you are still trying to figure out, I would be cautious giving money to any ad program. Start with those customers you had before you took the leap to get a studio. Why did they choose you? Think about sending them an invitation to come and see your new studio and get a free 8x10 and to bring a friend. In other words start with what you know and who you know and expand from there.<br>

The key to advertising is measuring it. If you don't have a way to measure it there is a very high chance you will be spending more on the ads then getting back. In the end if you still aren't sure, start small and don't break the piggy bank no matter what the sales rep says. They get paid on the ad program not how many customers you get from it.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"I know that my work will sell itself, ...."<br>

If I have ever heard a famous last words, that is it. I know a lot of starving photographers that do fabulous work. I also know photographers that do lesser work but market well and do great. Learn to market yourself. It is actually more important to your business than the quality of your photography. <br>

I am not saying that a phone directory is the way btw.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>As far as the work end of my images goes, I know it will speak for itself. Obviously, I am going to have to back that up with my approach and the services I have to offer.</p>

<p>I know how to sell. I'm trying to get people who are interested through the door or on the phone in order to make the pitch and present what I have to offer.</p>

<p>Thanks for your input.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I guess the question remains what kind of people are interested in these shots that sell themselves? What kind of client does your studio serve? Do they use YP's, Internet YP's, google, yahoo, direct mail when making their purchasing decisions? Do they think high prices = high quality or do they want good enough quality at low prices, etc? In advertising generally ad content is king, with position, distribution and frequency following closely behind. Also, if you don't have a means to measure your advertising you will never know if that last call came from the YP ad or a referral from your last happy customer.</p>

<p>My shots won't sell themselves, as I said in the message just before yours RM. I'm looking to expand my clientele and to get my name out there. My question was simple. I wanted to know if the Yellow Pages made any noticeable impact whatsoever.</p>

<p>Obviously you don't know of if you do know you don't want to share.</p>

<p>Then again you're here on a free ride anyway so chances are you're not serious to begin with.</p>

<p>Later.</p>