Year on copyright stamp

gcoates

I'm looking at buying a copyright stamp for use on the back of my prints. I've

seen statements on some vendor sites that say the copyright stamp must include

the year in order to "protect" the copyright adequately.

However, I thought that the stamp isn't needed to protect the copyright at all

in a legal sense. If this is true, then the copyright stamp on the back would

just be a deterrent to the people who might try to copy the prints and a notice

to any photo labs that the photos are professionally done.

I know that a couple of attorneys frequent this forum. Do any of you have input

in this matter? Does the year need to be included on my copyright stamp, or is

this just a marketing tactic by the stamp companies so that I will buy a new one

each year?

I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on Television. I did talk to a Lawyer years ago who told me that all you have to put on the back of a print is Copywrite and the R in a Circle. This show that you have the intent to copywrite, and that is all you need. I am sure someone will have a different opinion.

The copyright notice had to be affixed work published prior to March 1, 1989, or it immediately lost copyright protection. (Copyright protection has been restored for some foreign works even if they were published without notice before 1989.) That law has been changed; work published after 1989 does not need a copyright notice to maintain its copyright protection. It is, however, a good idea to use a copyright notice when displayed or offered in any manner.

<br /><br />According to copyright law, the proper copyright "notice" has three parts: the first part is the letter "c" in a circle (the letter "r" in a circle is for a trademark registered with the U.S. Trademark Office, not for a copyright), the word "Copyright," or its abbreviation, "Copr." Some people use a "c" within parentheses like this: ©, but it has not been designated to be part of the official copyright notice. The second part notes the year when the work was first published (not taken). The third required part of a copyright notice is the name of the copyright owner. The final form looks like this: Copyright 2007 Carolyn E. Wright.

<br /><br />

When you use the copyright notice it may stop someone from stealing your photographs, either because it serves as a reminder that the work is protected or because the notice interferes with the use of the work when it is part of the photo. Also, it helps to post a copyright notice on your photos because the infringer then cannot say the use was innocent. You also may be entitled to damages under the Digital Millenium Copyright Act if the proper notice is removed prior to infringment. You may use the copyright notice without registering your work with the U.S. Copyright Office. <br /><br />

Best,

I don't know if you are looking for a source for the ink because regular ink won't work. I use a stamp as well for my prints. I bought a kit from B&H for proof stamping but I didn't like the stamp it came with. So I went to my local office supply store and had a custom stamp made (no ink pad so I can use with the B&H kit) with my business name copyright and phone #. It only cost $8 and it saves me a bundle in unlawful duplication! Also, I saw another photograper use customized stickers, they kind of looked like grocery tag stickers. I think they could be too easly pulled off!