Yashica T3

<p>Another P&S classic: The Yashica T3 from the late 80's. It's claim to fame is its lens, which is labeled Carl Zeiss Tessar T* 35mm f2.8. The lens resides behind a glass weather proof barrier and in turn has a sliding barrier for added protection. The camera is also water resistant with a rubber o-ring surrounding the interior opening. And as an added attraction, it has a right angle viewing scope on top of the camera in addition to the conventional viewfinder. The usual features of that era (auto wind and rewind, programmed autoexposure, auto flash with multiple modes). You might be thinking, "what's not to like?". Well, it does have a rather limited 16 AF zones. That's right, 16. Early AF P&S cameras focused in steps. Actually most later ones did too, but many of them had 100+ zones. So how does a 16 zone AF work with relatively fast f2.8 lens? Results follow.</p><div>00Ypyn-365887584.jpg.429de7fd98da1d020067285959e3e67b.jpg</div>

<p>This wasn't the first Yashica P&S to be equipped with a C.Z. lens, but it was the first one with an f2.8 C.Z. I bought mine new in 1989 at dealer cost (since my family camera shop had a Yashica dealership). Programmed automation ranges from several seconds at f2.8 to f16 at 1/630 second. DX coding ranges from ISO 64 to 1600. Yes, 64. This camera was designed to make the slide shooter happy or at least as happy as a P&S could make one. One could load Kodachrome 64 or Ektachrome 64 and expose it at box speed. Other P&S models started at ISO 25, 50 (for the Velvia user), or 100. The next step after 64 is 100 and from there it is in full stops.<br>

One feature that would have really helped this camera would have been an infinety lock.</p><div>00Ypyt-365889584.jpg.756766da7ce352a523fc280d3eef1893.jpg</div>

<p>The right angle viewer or N.A. scope as labeled, shows about 65% of what the eye level view finder shows. A partial depression of shutter release locks focus with further pressure releasing the shutter.<br>

And you can release the shutter many times on a battery as it takes the large 6 volt lithium cell.</p><div>00Ypz5-365893584.jpg.bde9c6b60cc7c94e61980303b4c3ebf4.jpg</div>

<p>Nice shots Mike. Seems to be a pretty capable camera for such a small package. Is that a recent shot of the drill field? If so, Campus Landscape needs to do some watering! Also, since this camera was made in the 80's, was a Pacman game included? (see pic)</p><div>00Yq0R-365921584.jpg.35b2a7efefda4292c9f4ef5d9df6d883.jpg</div>

<p>And for those who haven't guessed it, the T3 was replaced by the T4. The T4 and T4 Super were much more compact, but had to make do with a slightly slower f3.5 lens (still very sharp). The T4 and T4 Super also have more focus zones. The T4 Super commands a premium price on the used market compared to the T3</p>

<p>Great write-up, <strong>Mike</strong>. I've been chasing a T4 Super for ages but, as you noted, the prices have gone a little over the top. Your pics demonstrate just how sharp that little Tessar lens really is. As I play around with more of the little P&S cameras of this era, I realise how constricting they are on one's creative desires; many of them are superb "recording" instruments, but there's just so little flexibility available to the user. Thanks for another excellent post.</p>

<p>Thanks, Rick. The T3 was my first "true" P&S. I talked my dad into ordering two (one for me and one to put in stock) based on a report in Popular Photography. The writer had used one for street photography and produced some top quality prints. Of course, I couldn't really tell from the magazine reproduction so I did have to accept his impressions of how well it performed. Not much of a risk, since if I hadn't liked the camera it would have been used as a display model. Needless to say, once I developed my first roll, it never saw the showcase. I happened to have this camera with me when my first son was born so I was able to get some available light photos (thanks to the f2.8 lens) with the ISO 400 color print film that was loaded. It was pretty awesome watching my son being born so I was glad I didn't have to worry about focus or other details when it came time to take photos.</p>

<p>As we keep finding out, not only those old MF point and shoots were good, but there were hidden qualities even coming into "modern" times.</p>

<p>Your results show that the camera is capable of fine work. After all, you don't need intelligence in the camera if the photographer has it. ;)</p>

<p>I have used my T4 Super D a lot in the rain. I am very fond of that camera. I also have the T3, but I haven't really broken that one in because darned if I don't keep reaching for the T4. Here's a shot from last winter with the T4.</p><div>00Ys38-368073684.jpg.3f70bc32d11ab31cc46d55635906d8fb.jpg</div>