Yashica T2 vs. T4

<p>There is a Yashica T2 for about $4 at a local thrift store. I'd like a T4 but I can't afford it right now. They both have the Carl Zeiss Tessar T* 3.5/35mm lens.. anyone know the big differences between the T2 the T4? </p>

<p>The T1 is arguably the best build, and T2 is apparently, very close to T1. They are both cheaper than T3, T4 and the super versions. The latter have this waist level finder in Super versions. The lenses are good in all of them so you are not going to go wrong. I believe that the later bodies support burst mode shooting. Be aware of dodgy electronics on T3 onwards though.</p>

<p>Hey, for $4 I'd get one even though I already have mint condition T3 that I bought new in 1989. The T series Yashicas all had sharp lenes. The biggest problem is focus sensor parallax. When close to the subject the focus sensor appears to be centered on the subject according to the viewfinder, but may actually miss a bit. The T3, BTW, has an f2.8 lens.<br>

The T4 was one of the precision fixed focal length compacts that enjoyed a few years of popularity before masses (voting with their pocketbooks) decided P&S cameras needed zoom lenses. The T4's competition was the Olympus Stylus Epic (35mm f2.8), Konica Big Mini (35mm f3.5), and Samsung AF Slim (almost a copy of the Konica), </p>

<p>I imagine the performance is similar with all models (though there are variations in max aperture and shutter speed), so I wouldn't hesitate at that price! With the T4 the clunky styling of the earlier models was replaced by a much sleeker and more pocketable design that helped make it a cult camera. The T5 ('T4 Super' in the US) is probably the most desirable model - Yashica restored the waist-level finder (as in the T3) which was missing from the original T4. But my favourite is still the green & grey 'Special Edition'/'Safari' variant of the standard T4.</p>