XD-11 First roll

ljwest

<p>Back in this thread, I mentioned finding a Minolta XD-11 at a camera show for a low price. This past weekend, I had the chance to take it out and play. Not wanting to waste too much film, I opted for a 12 exposure roll I got on sale.</p>

<p>I was happy to find out that the camera has no light leaks, the film transport works fine, the shutter fires in both aperture and shutter priority modes, and the meter appears to be accurate. The only issue is the film "safe load" indicator doesn't seem to be working, but that doesn't affect anything that I can see.</p>

<p>I'm hoping to finish up the next roll this week, and see how those pics did. In the meantime, I've attached a sample:</p>

<div>00XVZL-291745584.jpg.fdae91836611bbfabbd80d6dc4ae861c.jpg</div>

<p>James is correct about "program". Although not labeled as such, in shutter priority mode if the camera runs out of apertures that would result in the correct exposure, it will automatically shift the shutter speed so correct exposure results. For example, if shutter is set for 1/250 second in shutter priority and the meter calls for f2 (and your lens only opens to f2.8) it will shift the shutter speed to 1/125 second. Very handy feature. Also, the camera takes two meter readings: one at full aperture and another as the lens closes down as you take a picture. This way if you have a lens with a sluggish autodiaphragm, you may still get a correct exposure. </p>

<p>Thanks for all the replies!</p>

<p>Looks like I forgot the link to the <a href="00XSPl">original post</a>. There it is.</p>

<p>Lens for that shot was a Rokkor 45mm f/2 MD, with a Hoya Polarizer.</p>

<p>My XD-11 is also one of the "early" models, with the "outboard" exposure compensation lever, and no green 125 on the shutter speed.</p>

<p>I've heard that the XDs can suffer from a "sluggish" shutter. I'm not really sure if mine has this issue, or if the shutter is just so different from the other Minoltas I have (ranging from SRT-101 to X-570), that it has a different "feel". The "throw" of the shutter release (distance the button goes down) seems longer than it is on my X-cameras, and maybe about the same, or slightly longer than the SRTs. Not that it seems too long, but it's a deliberate movement to fire the shutter, as compared to the X-570s, or my Canon 7D.<br /> I can't really say that it's a "delay" (not like my old Olympus P&S digitals!), and if I set the shutter to "O", the mechanical 1/100 shutter setting, the release doesn't seem to change in any way. It's just "different".<br /> Anyone have any comments on that?</p>

<p>I think the delay is due to the fact that even though the camera meters the shot when you press partially on the shutter button, it takes another meter reading just before the shutter trips so that you get a final meter reading immediately before the picture is made. In essence, you get two meter readings for each shot. At least that's the way I understand it; someone correct me if I'm wrong. I did have an XD-11 that had a sluggish shutter and it felt a <em>lot</em> different. It felt as though something was wrong, much more than just the delay before the shot. Nice picture, Larry. I love the XD-11; it's one of my 'go to' cameras and one that I will never part with. It ranks right up there with my T90, F3HP, LX, and OM-4--some of the most "serious" and capable (<em>and favorite!</em>) cameras that I have. </p>

<p>Thanks, Andy. Yeah, it really just feels to me like there is a lot more going on than in the older cameras, and the newer ones are just faster at doing it all. With the X-570s, occasionally I won't realize how far I'm pressing the shutter, and it'll fire, but that's not a problem for me with the SRTs, and won't be with the XD-11.</p>

<p>I do miss on the XD-11 though, the touch-to-activate meter I have on the X-570 & XG-M, and also an "off" switch for the meter! That last really confused me, as all the other Minoltas I own have some way to disable the meter to save battery life!</p>

<p>Are there any recommended repairers, or parts sources? I need an original battery holder/cover. I'm using one from a spare X-570 I have for now. And perhaps to get it a CLA, and see if the film load indicator can be brought back to life.</p>

<p>To be honest, if I had to give up all my vintage cameras except one, I'd probably keep the XD-11. It does everything well without overcomplicating things. There is a certain amount of delay in tripping the shutter, but this fault is overwhelmed by the camera's many virtues. The Rokkor lenses have their own signature, and it's lovely. Here's an example of the Rokkor look. The shot is slightly off focus, or maybe that is camera motion, but the rendering of color and the feeling of the shot is pure Minolta. </p><div>00XVx7-292013584.thumb.jpg.7c21a8aa720e77a731e6d97782615a49.jpg</div>

<p>The XD 7 (11) I have is/was my most modern SLR and it was my "go to" camera for many years as the kids were starting school. It's still represents modernity and I seldom use it because I'm always using my older "purposeful and thinking" cameras too much! In fact I bet I haven't used it in over a year ! Your photo is very nice and I'm glad to hear and see everything's working Ok. I recommend taking care of this "classic" so that you can enjoy it for yoears to come and I hope you find a battery cover! I'd go to a local repair shop and see if they don't have something laying around that fits!</p>

<p>Larry - I'm pretty sure the shutter button <em>is</em> the meter on, and the meter won't run the battery down when not in use. One of my XD11s has had the same batteries in it for at least a year and a half and they're still fine. OTOH with an X-series I'm likely to forget to turn the power off :)</p>

Yes shutter release is also the meter switch. When packing camera in a bag avoid placing anything on top that would

apply pressure. That can drain the battery. One Pop Photo tester recommended setting shutter to O or B since they are

mechanical settings that require greater shutter release travel.

<p>Nice picture, Red!</p>

<p>Yes, I suppose that careful packing would eliminate any battery drain issues. I don't know about setting it to B or O, though. When the camera is set to one of those, I still get a red arrow in the viewfinder when I press the shutter partway. It's very nice to handle, and I look forward to may years of enjoyment!</p>

<p>I have the XD-11's "poor cousin", the XD-5. It doesn't give up much though. Just the safe load signal and the aperture window that shows the set aperture. The multiple exposure feature is a lot of fun as well. You can still find dedicated flashes for it too. I still have my old Minolta 200X flash. When recycled, it automatically sets the shutter for X-sync. Plenty of quality (yet inexpensive) used accessories on the market so enjoy.</p>

<p>Here's a double exposure from my XD-5. It is a self-timer "twin" shot. I covered the right half of the lens and photographed myself at extreme left. I pressed the rewind button and released it and operated the advance to wind the shutter. I covered left half of lens and photographed myself at the extreme right. If you stay away from center of frame and are are careful not to move the camera between exposures you can get a realistic twin photo. The same thing was done in filming TV and movies. Double exposures of Elizabeth Montgomery so she could play Samantha and look alike cousin Serena at the same time. Ever further back Pattie Duke used the same technique to play identical cousins. Haley Mills did it in the first "Parent Trap" movie. So this is a time-proven technique. I made my mask from a piece of thick cardboard held in a plastic Cokin filter holder.</p><div>00XWX1-292533584.jpg.348250d5875b1226715a5d68d3c2e922.jpg</div>