camera, but based on the Bessa T,but with interchangeable lens

(12mm,15mm

and possibly the

21mm only) and with no rangefinder but with interchangeable slot-in

viewfinders that slide into the body above the lens, therefore

retaining the profile of the Bessa T camera. TTL metering to

be included.

I know I would buy one - would you.

I had a Hologon camera and found it to be of limited use as when traveling it added too much weight and bulk in the gadget bag for a special use lens. On the other hand, I brought the Leica Hologon and used it regualarly because the size was more acceptible. I even took it with me on overseas trips where, I really didn't want to overdo equipment. Now I still have the Hologon lens but now I use the 15mm Heliar as I'm not as worried about damage and the finder is much smaller. I tried the 12mm Heliar and didn't think it added enough to justify getting it.

Like Andrew says - the original Bessa-L is pretty much exactly what you describe. It was introduced with the original V'lander 15mm and 25mm lenses about 4-5 years ago, and started the whole Voigtlander revival.

http://www.cameraquest.com/voigtbl.htm

Available now at closeout prices from a variety of dealers (Photovillage, Cameraquest, etc.)

Shooting with a Bessa-L/15mm got me hooked on this whole viewfinder camera thing - although now I use the 15 on an M6.

I guess you're suggesting that the finder sit lower INSIDE the body -but given the Bessas' vertical shutter and meter circuits, there probably isn't much room to sink it lower than the -L design.

Closest you'll find.

Actually, Bruno and I have been thinking along the same lines. I believe that a camera like that would not need interchangable finders. A little switch, like you have on the R2s, could do the trick. An ultra-wide Bessa R2 (let's call it the R2-UW) would be a highly specialized camera, however, which would make it pretty expensive.

Does this bother another? When we talk about Leica-M innovations we do not talk about Leitz but Cosina. Leica could easily have come out with a wide angle M6 or M7 by now if it had really wanted to. It could also have done a lot of things that would have made RF photography far more innovative and less expensive. It did make an attempt to be trendy with their new Leicavit--and what a mixed bag that turned out to be. It's essentially an overpriced Triggerwinder.

My beef with Cosina is their spotty build quality. I've had too much of their stuff go south on me too quickly. Though to be fair I've also had to send some new Leica stuff for repairs--significantly, the M motor winder which came apart on me one nice day.

I'm starting to think (duh) that the best-made stuff is by Nikon. If only they made viable RF cameras in M mount rather than the pseudo-antique (and charming) S3.

Anyway, Cosina is the only show in town for RF innovation. If they make a 12-15-21 RF camera I would not be surprised.

I had the VC 12mm and in addition to being a limited use lens, I

found the image quality poor. I returned it for another and got the

same results. It just may be pushing it too far for 35mm.

Maybe a camera/lens dedicated to that wide of a perspective

would help, but I wouldn't buy one. BTW, I'm not a V/C basher,

I love my 28/1.9 V/C and have openly said so.

The only 35mm superwide lens with decent image quality (that

I've used) has been the Canon 14mm/2.8L trailed by the Nikon

14mm/2.8. Not cheap though.

Leica may not be innovating in this area for a good reason.

Image quality IS their reputation. The 21 ASPH is quite excellent,

and the 24 ASPH is even better. Beyond that, even they may not

be able to keep the faith. And if they did I'd hate to see the price

tag. The Fuji made super wide for the X-Pan cost a mere

$2,500., so you can imagine what a Leica superwide would cost.

I rather suspect that one man's poor image quality is another man's exciting picture. The pictures I've seen so far from the 12 and the 15 look good enough to me though what they'd look like printed to 20x16 is something I can only speculate on.

Me, I'm happy enough with the wide end of a Sigma 17~35...

for the 15mm the images I have seen on web show the pictures are crisp and contrasty. I tend to use mine a F5.6-8 to avoid diffraction and to keep shutter speed high. I find the photos/slides extremely contrasty, maybe even too much so, with a hint of vignetting.

I find the most web examples of the 15mm only so-so in terms of picture quality, just scratching the surface as to what the lens can do. The good ones can be very good though.

My personal experience is that I'm not that good in framing the 15mm. 21mm is the widest I can personally go. For that reason I'm not interested in a 12mm because it will be a waste in my hands.

The 21 ASPH is quite excellent, and the 24 ASPH is even better. Beyond that, even they may not be able to keep the faith.

Marc

I agree with you here. To get a really great super-wide is very difficult and expensive. The Leica 19mm-R is reputed to be 21mm ASPH quality, but I too find most super-wides a little disappointing and that includes Leica. The Contax G 21mm Biogon is disappointing into the corners at wider apertures. As it happens it does not worry me much as these lenses interest me surprisingly little.

Robin Smith