Would you accept this? (another "bad" pixels question)

w_t1

Attached is about a 1600 per cent enlargement of "bad" pixels from a

recently purchased Olympus 8080. There are two of these things which

show up on every photo in the same place. Shows up on 11x14 and 8x10

prints as black donughts. Extremely obvious in the grey cloudy sky

that this crop was taken from, and 11x14 black and white. I am

mainly a film shooter, but purchased this mainly to take experimental

landscapes, I don't think I should have to go and edit each of these

out before printing. These show up at all shutter speeds (this pic

was taken at 2pm), i've read all the posts about stuck, bad, bright,

dead pixels, I don't really care what it is, I just want opinions.

It's under the 60-day KEH warranty, and my inclination is to return.

Thanks tom in seattle<div>00DPKw-25443584.jpg.8960138c05c5b83849dcab613e18fc7d.jpg</div>

If it is something that really bothers you, take it back. You should have a good feeling about using that camera, and if those 'bad pixels' are always going to be on your mind, then by all means...get a replacement or your money back.

There are no "bad" pixels - just misunderstood ones who didn't grow up with all the advantages the other pixels had. That poor pixel probably had a father who came home every night with his gate leaking and making enough spatial noise and temporal noise to wake the neighbors. The little tyke WANTS to be a "good" pixel and play nicely with the other photosites but he needs our love.<P>

OK, that's enough love - I say send it back to KEH. My first D100 had egregiously awful noise levels so I sent it back for a better one that merely had awful ones consistent with the other d100's.

I have asked similar questions in the past, as have others, and the responses are interesting. Some folks take the attitude that if a few pixels out of several million are "bad", what's the big deal. I don't agree with this. A new camera should work as promised since that's what you paid for. Insist on a replacement because it's not working like it's supposed to.

I know that manufacturers can re-map bad pixels but it isn't like mapping out bad sectors on a disk drive. Doing it does affect the picture. Of course a few re-mapped pixels will not be noticeable in the real world but what's the cut-off? How do you find out which, if any, have been mapped out? This has ramifications when buying 2nd hand cameras. I'd like a way to find if the 6 mpix camera I just bought has 10 or 100 or 1000 re-mapped "bad" pixels so there's no easy way that I know of.

I have a 3 year old Canon G3 with a stuck pixel and I resent having to worry about it. In some scenes it can be seen by the naked eye at less than 100%.

Thanks for all the responses. Ted, I did the pixel mapping, and it got rid of one, but one is still there, although now it looks different. Viewable at 100% as a cyan blob! I'll probably return it, am going to use it over the long weekend and print some more.

Robert, I agree with you, out of interest you should go to new egg website and look at the lcd monitors, they have a "bad pixel" policy, can only exchange if it is greater than a certain amount, they are admitting that the products are not perfect before you buy them. Of course I have different standards from most people, as one of my cameras that i still use is my F-1 that I bought new in 1981....but I can't imagine a film camera that would expose two spots on the film different than the rest, and be expected to live with it. I think this acceptance of purchasing items and being happy with crap is all part of the disposable society we live in, my opinion.