World Cup lens

raymond_black

Raymond - you are too late. The World Cup finished last week.

More seriously though, I think you will find that the photogs use a whole different array of

lenses. I certainly saw a few guys with long lenses put them down and use another body with

what looked like a pretty short length zoom for when the players were taking corners or

throw-ins etc.

Robert.

Looked like a lot of 400mm 2.8's for really long shots and as players came within range probably 70-200 2.8's, or some similar setup for Nikon. Not sure about extenders or TC's. Any of the night games were likely not with shot with teleconverters due to the fact that you lose a stop or two with them on. Never shot at this level so I am only speculating.

I photograph kids which are 1/2 to 2/3 the height of the men but on much smaller fields with a 400/2.8 on both film and 1.6x DSLR. I tend to go for full body shots since at this age you don't get a lot of head contact as competitors both go for heading the ball. The 600mm lenses at the World Cup on 1.5 and 1.3x bodies would be ideal for these head and shoulder shots and for shots downfield. Of course the smaller lenses are better for closer action.

I too was interested in what lenses were being used and of course all the white ones stood out more than the few black ones I saw. As mentioned above probably quite a range from 70-200 and up to 600. Wideangles would be nice for one or two stadium shots but pretty boring unless a player happened to be falling over you. I doubt they use converters especially because of the 1.3 to 1.5 digital factors already.

"I doubt they use converters especially because of the 1.3 to 1.5 digital factors already."

i would be amazed if there were many photogs at the world cup NOT using full frame DSLRs.

I mean, if they have the pass for the games, they have the top spec Canons. shurely ?

<i>i would be amazed if there were many photogs at the world cup NOT using full frame DSLRs. I mean, if they have the pass for the games, they have the top spec Canons. shurely ?</i><p>

I guess you should be amazed. Most sports photographers - everyone I have ever shot with, use the 1DMkII, which is a 1.3 camera.

"I guess you should be amazed. Most sports photographers - everyone I have ever shot

with, use the 1DMkII, which is a 1.3 camera."

I am duly amazed. I guess I just assumed that anyone making a living from sports photog

and being at world cup would be using the flashiest whizz banger they could get their

hands on. We live and learn.

Thinking about it though now you have said that, I guess it means that they can get even

longer focal length without having to pay so much for a longer lens so a 600mm would be

closer to 900mm. Wow.

RX

<i>"Professional photographers don't use "the flashiest whizz banger," they use the tools to do the job. The 1D is valued for its speed, in every way, and that's why it's used."</i><br><Br>

Actually, a close friend of mine, which shoots for AP, uses a couple of 20D's. I've seen his work, it's brilliant.

If you watched the games, which I assume you have you will notice a slew of remotes behind

both nets. On these remote cameras you will find wide angles such as a Nikon 14mm f/2.8,

16mm f/2.8, 20mm f/2.8 and other wide-angle zoom lenses like 17-55mm or 17-40mm.

Pretty much anything wide to get a majority if not the whole net in the field of view. You

might even see a fisheye on a few setups but it is not as likely.

Lukas