Wordpress Image Resizing: Photo Site Downfall?

dan_spellman

<p>Hey,</p>

<p>I am worried that the browser/resolution dependant automatic resizing of Wordpress websites (or at least mine) is making my images look terrible. Take a look at this page: http://www.danielspellman.com/?gallery=events</p>

<p>So I carefully size and optimise these JPEGS in Photoshop... but I make them quite small so Wordpress automatically resizes them larger on my monitor (quite a large monitor). And they look horrible, of course.</p>

<p>So how do they look for you on my page? It seems like I'm going to have to get custom programing help to overcome this! Fark...:(</p>

<p>Dan</p>

<p>They look fine to me... Of coarse it's impossible for me to tell if they look how you mean for them to.<br>

I use 1920x1080 monitors.<br>

I've got a few tips/questions.</p>

<p>1: Are you saving in sRGB colour space?<br>

2: You're using FancyBox plug-in to display images. I've not found anyone else having this issue with that plug-in.<br>

3: Are you sure this plug-in re-sizes to fit screen? I'd be a little surprised.</p>

<p>Maybe I'm being too fussy...</p>

<p>1. Not all of the images on the site are, but the page I sent you to should be (just started doing this)<br>

2. I have no idea about FancyBox - this is just the way the theme I purchased, Core, displays images (the theme: http://themeforest.net/item/core-minimalist-photography-portfolio/240185 )<br />3. I originally asked how to prevent any resizing to the theme's support and was told that yes it's resized to fit the screen, but no he can't help and it needs custom coding to prevent that.<br>

Can I ask...if you right click on a lightbox image and click View Image, does the size change? It does for me, hence why I thought the resizing was occuring (besides the visual difference I notice). I also have that monitor size.</p>

<p>Once I click on one of those thumbnails and get the larger view layer popped up, clicking on the image advances to the large view of the next image. There are some size changes there - as though not all of your larger JPGs are actually the same size, so the display box is resizing to fit the different original image sizes on the fly. Which makes sense.</p>

The full-size images I looked at are 900x600. Are those the dimensions to which you resized them? If you made them smaller, no wonder they look fuzzy. Also you might try Photoshop Q7 or 8 instead of Q6.

Note that some browsers (IE and Chrome) upsize images when you type Ctrl + and downsize with Ctrl -. To see original size, which certainly will look better, try Firefox with the setting View > Zoom > Zoom Text Only.

<blockquote>

<p>Note that some browsers (IE and Chrome) upsize images when you type Ctrl + and downsize with Ctrl -. To see original size, which certainly will look better, try Firefox with the setting View > Zoom > Zoom Text Only.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Ooh far out, THAT is probably why the images look bad on my monitor!!! I totally overlooked that I have my pages zoomed in considerably to match my large monitor. Thankyou. Most people Ive asked have said they looked fine, which was confusing me. Also your right, I may up the JPEG quality a bit and try that setting in Firefox.<br>

Its sometimes the simplest thing one overlooks. Im silly. Thankyou people!!</p>