Wondering if film is still usable

<p>Hello!<br>

I just went on a trip to California to visit my aunt and found a bunch of film that was stored in her closet for a number of years. She lives in Berkeley and the film seems to have been there from around 1996. She hasn't taken it out of the closet until I came around June of 2009. I took all the film back on the plane from Berkeley, California to Honolulu Hawaii. The temperature here is around the 90's F and I don't have a fridge to accommodate the film so it's been in my closet for about 2 weeks. Note that I am just getting started with film and this is all way new to me. Is the film still usable, considering it hasn't been in the fridge and its pretty warm and humid here in Hawaii?</p>

<p>Why not shoot a roll and find out? It might be just fine, might not. The only way to know for sure is to try a roll. I've shot a few rolls that were stored in a garage for a decade, and while it wasn't anything like what you're talking about it does get hot here in the summer and the film was fine.</p>

<p>Reminds me of a very old cheerleaders yell:</p>

<p>California grapfruit</p>

<p>Texas cactus</p>

<p>We shoot expired film</p>

<p>Just for practice</p>

<p>Go ahead and try it, but don't use it for any images that you care about.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>all depends on what kind of film it is. if it's standard b&w, it's likely that there's not a thing wrong with it. if it's colour, you're probably going to get a magenta shift as has been stated. </p>

<p>the bottom line is that it will work, will create images but they might be a little strange if colour. also, as has been said, just don't shoot anything you care about TOO much on it. take some fun snapshots of friends at a party or something of that nature. you might be pleasantly surprised.</p>