Will acryllic (plexi) glazing cause harmful outgassing?

<p>I want to eliminate the risk of broken glass if a picture frame falls to the floor, and am considering the use of acrylic sheet instead of glass.<br>

The cost of museum-grade acrylic glazing is prohibitive, and the prints will simply be kept in a low-UV environment or displayed intermittently. <br>

Does standard acrylic sheet damage photographs from outgassing any more than archival? <br>

Can acrylic sheet be treated in some manner to adequately reduce dust build-up from static charge, and also not create an additional outgassing issue?</p>

<p>Normal acrylic will cause outgassing. It is not an archival method of framing prints, unless you get the Acrylite material that is supposed to prevent the problem. The museum I worked for used acrylic-like materials for many prints, but it was special material. Check this link out: http://www.archivalmethods.com/Product.cfm?categoryid=3&Productid=150. You may find it much cheaper elsewhere, but this link will tell you more about it. I would not frame using normal acrylic (in fact, I did do that many years ago, and it was messy).</p>