Wideness of the 28 2.8 Elmar ?

Discussion in 'Leica and Rangefinders' started by leon chang, Jul 3, 2006.

1. When shooting cityscapes I often find my Elmar 50 2.8 too narrow. I was
    thinking of getting a 28 f2.8 Elmar. Can anyone post some samples of
    how "wide" it looks in practice. I often like to emphasize foregrounds, which
    is rather hard with a 50 mm. thnx!

2. I shoot with a 28mm 2.8 Elmarit which I used for the majority of my last trip to Europe. It's plenty wide and doesn't offer up too much distortion for the landscapes.
    00HANS-30963784.jpg

3. The 28 Elmarit is great, but if I had purcahse another 28mm I'd go for the Cron.

4. Leon, you mean Elmarit ?

5. The 28 mm lens has about a 76 degree diagonal angle of view, compared with about 45 degrees for a 50 mm lens. That is a significant difference.

6. Chris,-- What is causing all that vignetting in your photo? I know it is not the lens itself. Could you have put the wrong lenshood on?

7. A 25 would be twice as wide as your 50, both width and length. 4 x the area covered.

28 a bit less.

8. Along with your 50 Summicron, take a look at the 28mm 1:3.5 V/C Color Skopar -- inexpensive, excellent build quality, sharp!
    00HASJ-30965684.jpg

9. When fully open, the Elmarit has about 2 stops of light-falloff at 21.6mm from the centre of the frame, and even more at the extreme corners. Chris' photo must have been taken at a wide aperture.

10. Leon: Another 28mm Elmarit picture:

http://www.photo.net/photo/380526

11. Good Lord, Andy. That nearly sliced a hole in my screen! It would be dangerous to handle negatives made with that lens -- there'd be blood and little pieces of fingers everywhere.

12. Jerry: That isn't an extraordinary amount of vignetting for a 28mm. The version III 28mm Elmarit vignettes 2.1 stops at the corners. That will always be evident in a shot that includes an area of uniform tone, especially if it's the sky. Any lens that wide will show a deeper blue in the sky, in the corners. The sky gets darker/deeper with increasing altitude anyhow, which intensifies the effect. Note that vignetting isn't noticeable in the lower corners.

13. "That nearly sliced a hole in my screen!"

Yes, it was a bit over-sharpened.

14. I just received a "new" 28mm F3.5 Nikkor for my S2 this week. 28mm for me has long been an under appreciated focal length. I have had one for many years for my SLR...but never used it. I do like this NRF lens alot and will be using it frequently.
    00HAhw-30972584.jpg

15. another...same roll
    00HAi2-30972684.jpg

16. and last
    00HAi6-30972884.jpg

17. "Along with your 50 Summicron, take a look at the 28mm 1:3.5 V/C Color Skopar -- inexpensive, excellent build quality, sharp!"

I guess you forgot to add "if it's focused right and held steady" :*)

18. Yeah, John, I was jostled by the crowd! How's this example?
    00HB43-30980384.JPG