Wide angle with macro (means what?)

vic_dawson

<p>

<p >Sorry for another naïve question, but what does the phrase “with macro” mean in regards to wide angle lenses? I got a "wide-angle with macro" thrown in with my Rebel kit purchase but no explanation what it was, model number, or anything. I know a macro lens is one that can take close-up shots, but I thought that was a separate lens. Do the wide angle and macro work together as one unit? Or are they two separate lenses (1) wide, and (2) macro? Looking online, I see that wide angles often say “with macro”, but why the separate lens? Can you just use the wide by itself, or must the macro be attached too? It doesn's seem like the macro would attach to the camera alone. Thanks</p>

</p>

<p>Hi Vic<br>

In Photography, Macro refers to pictures taken of small things that fill your image. As an example the head of a bee or a single grain of wheat. In general macro starts when your image is no more the 1/4 the size of the of the original (expressed as 1:4 magification). Many people believe true macro begins at 1:1 (image and subject are the same size). <br>

Products that advertise "macro" help to make pictures of small things. There are different type of products with which you can achieve different level of magification and quality. So macro is a qualifier not an specific product. It just mean you can take pictures closer than usual. How Close? Depends on the product.<br>

Many lenses (usually zoom) have a macro feature. Among reputible manufacturers they usually you can get 1:4 magnification. Most dedicated Macro lenses can get you to 1:1 with much better quality. There are specilty set-ups that can get you beyond that point.<br>

You can also use close up lenses (added to the front os a lens) or extension tube (added to the back of a lens).<br>

I suggest you search Macro on flickr. You will get a lot of examples of equipment and images.<br>

Have fun<br>

Edmond</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Sounds like you got one of those adapters that fits in the filter threads of a regular camera lens. Some of those adapters, such as the better Kenko models, are useful for economically extending the focal range of a lens.</p>

<p>But the common type marketed as a "macro" with a detachable wide and macro section, marketed under dozens of names, is mediocre. I have one that I picked up in a pawn shop for a couple of bucks. It was originally designed for camcorders where the low resolution wouldn't be noticed.</p>

<p>Give it a try. I've used mine on point and shoot film and digital cameras and it's okay for informal use. The macro lens alone will enable you to get closeups but expect some distortion and softness at the edges and chromatic aberration (discolored edges around high contrast areas). You probably won't be able to use the wide angle attachment alone - it needs the "macro" element to complete the optical formula.</p>

<p>BTW, there are some very good quality prime wide angles and fisheye lenses capable of closeups and even macro photography. If after experimenting with the doodad included with your kit you decide you like the effect you might enjoy a better quality lens. Those lens converter doodads are useful for experimenting before sinking money into better optics.</p>

<p>Generally speaking anything zoom or wide with 'macro' stamped on the side of it usually means that it will focus a bit closer than a standard lens without said designation. It doesnt make it a true macro lens, which will foucs and give a reprodction of 1:1, it may give a 1:2 or 1:3 or what ever it may be but it wont be a macro lens. Personally I think its soemthing somebody decided to put on lenses just to make a few more people buy them thinking they are getting a lens that will do a lot of things. If its true macro you want then the only way is a macro lens, or if you are on a budget, some close up filter attachments.</p>

<p>"Why the separate lens?"<br>

This type of wide angle attachment accessory lens has two parts, a wide angle front and a close up lens. This close up lens is, sometime just a screw on. It is used to correct the focus distant changes introduced by the front wide attachment.</p>

<p>"Can you just use the wide by itself, or must the macro be attached too?"<br>

No, you need the macro close up lens attached to it or else it won't focus.</p>

<p>"It doesn't seem like the macro would attach to the camera alone"<br>

You can remove the macro close up lens and attached that to a 50mm f1.8 prime lens. It would act as a +15 or so diopter (for a typical.45X wide attachment)</p>

<p>Don't expect quality :-)</p>