Why use a CF card reader?

paddler4

<p>OK, I have read a bunch of the old threads about card readers, but I have not yet found one that answers my basic question: why bother? Is there some advantage to using a card reader rather than simply plugging the camera in via the USB connector?</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>Dan</p>

<p>I suspect that if you have read those threads, then you've also read the important reasons, and just don't agree with them. To touch on some that come up with some frequency, and which may or may not be important to some people:<br /><br />1) The camera must be turned on to serve as a card reader. You're taxing the battery in order to use it that way. This means charging the battery afterwards (and taking another fraction of its life away), or using an AC supply to run the camera. Added steps, shortened battery life.<br /><br />2) The camera, while in use as a card reader, is tethered to a computer. There is an electrical connection between the computer and the camera. Power surges/spikes, static discharge, odd grounding situations ... all can expose anything hanging off of the computer's USB port to potential damage. I would much rather smoke the circuits in a $20 card reader than a $2000 camera. <br /><br />3) Cameras with tethers attached, especially around busy desks/tables, are far more likely to get yanked to the floor through some momentary lack of grace. I've seen it happen - especially around kids/pets and tired photographers.<br /><br />4) With a card reader, you can be dumping 8GB of files to a computer while off shooting to another card that you've placed in the camera.</p>

<p>Generally card readers are faster (I use firewire readers which are MUCH faster on my mac than using the camera's USB connection), they don't rely on your camera's batteries, you can leave you camera on a tripod and take the card to your computer without altering the set up, and some operating systems won't recognize your camera without having to have certain programs installed and operating, whereas a card reader just registers as another hard drive. Another advantage is that many readers read multiple media formats so you can download friends and families images if they don't have the wire for their camera with them. All in all, a card reader is a good thing to have..</p>

<p>Thanks. There are so many postings on card readers that I had not found these reasons. I think Matt's #2 and John's point about a camera not being recognized (had that happen recently when I switched from an XTi to a 50D) are reason enough for me. Especially the first, because I do some work in very remote areas with less than optimal power quality. In fact, I had the power brick for one of my laptops fried by a spike a few years ago, in one of the places where I do a lot of shooting. So, off to buy a card reader...</p>

<p> </p>

<p>It's easier and quicker. I have a Canon camera with all of the free software and I find the Canon Utilities OK but it is far easier to plug the card into a reader and click/drag the pictures between directories - there are no menus to work through, and on my PC it can get a bit slow at times and I am one of those who is impatient and irritated by the computer telling me it needs time to think.<br>

For me it is more about preferred work route than benefits of facilities.</p>

<p>I don't use a card reader unless the card is already out of camera, i.e. I always connect the camera to the 'puter in order to read the cards already in the camera. No particular reason (well, image rotation perhaps...) but I have seen more than one camera with bent/broken CF slot pins from sloppy card insertion. The battery usage for D/L of images with modern cameras is a non-issue (a few thousand shots per charge on the 1D/1Ds Mk. III...) Besides, many readers don't support SDHC cards so - unless one carries an adapter - it is D/L via camera or bust...</p>

<p>Dan:</p>

<p>It fits into my workflow better to use a reader. I'm going to remove the card from the camera to put a new card in. Might as well just take the used card and put it in a reader and insert a new card into the camera at the same time.</p>

<p>Michael:</p>

<p>I just recently bought this reader for SDHC cards. It's barely larger than an SDHC card. I give it thumbs up. Takes up hardly any room. :)<br>

<a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/502433-REG/GGI_SDHC_Secure_Digital_SD_SDHC_Memory.html">http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/502433-REG/GGI_SDHC_Secure_Digital_SD_SDHC_Memory.html</a></p>

<p>Eric</p>

<p>I prefer a card reading mainly because I can easily control where I copy the files: just drag 'n drop into chosen folders. Plugging in the camera evokes/requires the autoload software and is slow and places the images into unknown places. Also, I often arrive home with several filled cards. Installing a half dozen and out of the camera and uploading is a pain.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>About bent CF socket pins: honestly, my take on it is that you have to be pretty clumsy and cavalier about shoving your card in to cause that problem - and usually with some grit in the card's matching pinholes or a loose socket that's previously been getting real abuse along the way. And the sort of person who's not paying attention to <em>that</em> sort of stuff is also the sort of person who's going to yank cables from tethered cameras, overload low-current USB ports on laptops, and any number of other dicey things.<br /><br />A moment's care and thoughfulness with eather method is called for.</p>