Why put my film in the freezer?

Discussion in 'Film and Processing' started by c._h._h., Jun 30, 2003.

1. Hello,

I have always been wondering why people put their film in the freezer?

Thanks,
    CHH

2. With color films, extreme temperatures will eventually cause color shifts. Perhaps someone can elaborate on this a bit more as I am not familiar with exactly what happens to color film.

Color film and B&W (Silver process) film will also fog to varying degrees (the factors here are temperature and film speed, also possibly emulsion type (? anyone know? I only shoot TriX and HP5 - is TMax more/less succeptible?)).

I have had TriX in my house (no A/C) go between 68-70 farenheit and 80-90 farenheit with no problems, and I am famous for forgetting film, (and sometimes even the whole camera!) in my car overnight (the extremes are from about 45-50F to probably 90-100 or more). This cant be great for the film (or camera), but I've never noticed any appreciable fogging on TriX rated as marked (400). Not that I would reccomend this mind you.

Bottom line - the consensus seems to be that freezing/refrigerating film is a Good Thing and helps increase the life of the film and prevent heat-related fogging. My film lives in the back of the refrigerator, about 35-40 degrees farenheit. A search of photo.net shows some people storing film as cold as -15 degrees (I'm assuming that's celsius).

Cold good. Heat bad. :-D

/~mikeg