Why put my film in the freezer?

With color films, extreme temperatures will eventually cause color shifts. Perhaps someone can elaborate on this a bit more as I am not familiar with exactly what happens to color film.

Color film and B&W (Silver process) film will also fog to varying degrees (the factors here are temperature and film speed, also possibly emulsion type (? anyone know? I only shoot TriX and HP5 - is TMax more/less succeptible?)).

I have had TriX in my house (no A/C) go between 68-70 farenheit and 80-90 farenheit with no problems, and I am famous for forgetting film, (and sometimes even the whole camera!) in my car overnight (the extremes are from about 45-50F to probably 90-100 or more). This cant be great for the film (or camera), but I've never noticed any appreciable fogging on TriX rated as marked (400). Not that I would reccomend this mind you.

Bottom line - the consensus seems to be that freezing/refrigerating film is a Good Thing and helps increase the life of the film and prevent heat-related fogging. My film lives in the back of the refrigerator, about 35-40 degrees farenheit. A search of photo.net shows some people storing film as cold as -15 degrees (I'm assuming that's celsius).

Cold good. Heat bad. :-D

/~mikeg