Why does PSE Filter/Stylize/Solarize reduce luminance values to maximum 128?

Why? Think of 128 x 2 and levels (encoding) of an image....

Been this way since day one of the 'big boy" product (Photoshop) that predates PSE; you're just wondering today?

From 1995 "Adobe Photoshop Handbook" by Mark Siprut (I wrote the chapter for him on Filters, page 389, the photography of my dogs at the time).

This darker appearance is explained of course. And the 'fix' if you don't want the way the filter mimics this old darkroom process.

But please do show us your 'image' (Photo hopefully?) with and without Solarize, I'd love to see your idea of what 'looks like crap".

No flaw, by design. For like 30 years.... :D

http://digitaldog.net/files/SolarizeExplainedforFranz.jpg

• Like 1

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

An image that only shows levels 0 through 128 on a 0 through 255 scale looks like crap to me.

Having never, ever seen even one of your images, I can't confirm or deny it has anything to do with the filter. Why the filter does what it does has been explained to you. What about those facts do you not understand???

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

... but that increases the chances of introducing banding/posterization because of the additional, major editing.

From a camera JPEG sure. Try raw, high-bit data if you can.....

More facts to the 'why' and luckily for us Photoshop users, Solarize can operate on that bit depth. Elements?

http://digitaldog.net/files/TheHighBitdepthDebate.pdf

The image is RAW 12 bits and PSE can solarize that. The first shot is normal, the second solarized and the last one is solarized and leveled. The solarized, non-leveled image looks like crap to me. So there.

I can supply other examples if you like.

drivenormal.jpg.8c2200def44c2223ae2bb92487deeeed.jpg

drivesolarized.jpg.3dae28cc94042f31cb2a368e9f031915.jpg

drivesolarizedleveled.jpg.3cacba313ed2fd26be30fc9b2c3c5acc.jpg

Edited by frans_waterlander

I know it's rather easy to use Levels or Auto Levels to correct for this flaw, but that increases the chances of introducing banding/posterization because of the additional, major editing.

Seems you've now found out, that's often untrue:

The image is RAW 12 bits and PSE can solarize that.

The raw may be 12 bits but PSE doesn't handle the raw data and no ACR doesn't provide a Solarize filter.

And of course, one can render a 12 bit raw as less than 12 bits using ACR if such a user doesn't know how to use ACR.

There what?

The Solarize filter and it's effect on brightness was explained to you.

Altering brightness after Solarize if desired, was explained to you.

What are you still confused about now?

I agree, the images are crappy but that's a subjective opinion and not a technical one (which is the topic).

RAW vs. jpeg, 12 bits vs less bits have nothing to do with the subject at hand: solarize puts out crappy images without further tweaking and the fact that you explain that doesn't make it OK. Further tweaking also increases the likelyhood of banding/posterization, but of course you just fail to comment on that.

So, if I understand you correctly, you were involved in creating this filter, so you can take the credit and the blame, but I'm not holding my breath.

You obviously do not understand me correctly.

No, I did not create Solarize.

Yes, I have created several Photoshop filters.

http://pixelgenius.com/

No, further tweaking does not increase banding on high bit data.

Yes, your images provided appear crappy; in this we agree totally.

Yes, hold your breath.

solarize puts out crappy images without further tweaking

Lastly (if we are all so lucky), you might also attempt to study and attempt to understand the traditional Solarize techniques of which you have illustrated you are unaware of:

A good article about solarization with detailed procedures and tips on how to do that

"The major observable effects of solarization are a partial reversal of tones (light tones become darker, although dark tones don’t generally get lighter, although they may sometimes look darker because of the darkening of surrounding tones) and the creation of so-called Mackie lines: white outlines at boundaries between areas of different light/dark values".

If you know the effect you're after, and the 'solarize' filter isn't it, then just use the curves tool. A reversal of the curve - humped or dished - or even a double reversal, gives a custom solarisation that's adjustable to taste.

Interesting that solarisation makes the grease-cap look dented. Must file that one away if I ever have to virtually beat-up some metalwork.

• Like 1

If you know the effect you're after, and the 'solarize' filter isn't it, ...

Exactly. But you had him at “if you know the effect you're after”. He clearly doesn't or understands the process known as Solarization.

Further, he admits this in the 2nd sentence after the first: “why?” :D

Edited by digitaldog