Why buy a Fuji X-E2?

justthings

<p>I'm looking at starting to build out a mirrorless system, and I'm leaning hard towards Fuji. Comparing the Fuji X-T10 with the X-E2 I am wondering what would be the advantage of the X-E2 given these are currently at the same price point. Does this choice simply come down to a matter of size and form factor, or is there some other capability of the X-E2 that makes this attractive for some users? I feel like Fuji has unfortunately created competition within its own offerings that can only cut the legs out from under something like the X-E2 - perhaps this is signalling is the end of the line for the X-Ex products. Ultimately, I need to get into a store and handle both items to see if there is an appreciable difference in 'feel' though I suspect I will like the X-T10 better since i'm more used to handling SLR-like bodies than rangefinder styles.</p>

<p>A DSLR like camera with full time EVF is a lot easier to use than just a rear screen. The camera is held to your eye, and easier to see in bright light. You can also hold the camera a lot steadier. IMO, that's a small price to pay for better photographs, despite the increase in size.</p>

<p>I usually copy files daily into a hard drive folder for the raw files, with subdirectories like camera JPEGs, derivatitive files and sometimes videos. The main directory is date based with a descriptive phrase, such as "D150806 Boerner Gardens".</p>

Right now, an X-T10 it is basically an X-E2 with the viewfinder moved to the center and the newer firmware version. Fuji

will update the firmware on the X-E2 sometime this fall, and then they'll be basically the same camera but with the

viewfinder in a different position.

<p>i'd either get an XT1 or wait for XE2 prices to drop. the XT10 just looks aesthetically odd, like a russian camera reboot. the XE1/2 has a very streamlined form factor, especially with a small lens like the 27/2.8. but the xT10 does have significant improvements like area-AF mode, face detection, electronic shutter, and a front dial. also more customizable buttons. but some of that will come over to the XE2 later this year via firmware update. at an equal price point, the xT10 is the more full-featured, if less handsome, camera. but should the XE2 drop to $600 or less, it might be a better bargain. the one feature which really makes a difference, the continuous-tracking, is only on the xT1 for now. to some extent lens selection should be a factor: the XE series is best with smaller lenses. but if youre going to use the larger fuji zooms and primes, a bigger body will balance better. the XT10 sits, right in-between svelte and bulky but if i was getting a two-body system for use with multiple lenses, an XE2/XT1 combo will offer the best of both worlds as far as configurability.</p>

<p>I've been shooting an XT1 for most of a year now and like it. Handle one before you make your choice; the viewfinder is far better and easier to use, and that makes a huge difference to me.</p>

<p>By the time you've bought a few lenses, the cost difference between bodies will seem minor. That said, if it still seems an issue I'd get an XE2. Fuji is very good about firmware upgrades bringing new features to older models, and somehow I just don't like the XT10. There's no point in moving the VF to the center and having a lump there if it's still small.</p>

<p>I do think it's good that Fuji offers different designs, like XE2 vs XT1. (Not to mention X-Pro with the optical hybrid VF!) Each is nice in its own way, and fun to use.</p>

• 8 months later...
<p>The viewfinders of the X-E2 and the X-T10 the same in my practical experience. You will only get a significantly better viewfinder if you pay for the X-T1 or wait for the upcoming X-T2.<br /><br />I disagree with the previous comment that the the X-T10 can be found for the same price as the X-E2.<br />As <a href="http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=fujifilm+body+%28x-T10+%2C+X-E2%29&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=625&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo=300&_udhi=&LH_BIN=1&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=&_sargn=-1%26saslc%3D1&_fsradio2=%26LH_LocatedIn%3D1&_salic=1&LH_SubLocation=1&_sop=15&_dmd=1&_ipg=50">this comparison shows</a>, the X-E2 can be had for a lot less, giving buyers more wiggle room to get better lenses.</p>