Which simple, cheap, decent color "personal photo lab" printer for the wife?

Ok, so even though I have three Epson color printers (870/1160/2200) the wife

still does not know how, nor want to deal with setting up the printer driver,

setting print size, previewing properly, changing the paper, yadda, yadda on

my printers (granted I have the default set up for the 2200 and B&W printing,

so she would have to change the settings and papers each time, and I print way

more than she would). So I figured one of these little printers which she can

pop in her digicam memory card, scroll through the images on the little

screen, and just push a button for automatic 4x6 print-outs. I bought one of

the little Canon ones last year for my boss but to be frank thought the output

was not all that great. I'm hoping these type of printers have gotten better

in the last 12 months. I saw a full page ad in the paper this last weekend

for the Epson PictureMate Pal/Snap/Flash models which range from $129 to $299,

quite a spread in price, and I'd certainly prefer to be in the lower end of

that, especially since really good "regular" printers go for under $100.

Anyone have any positive experience with these Epsons or the Canons, or any

other of this class of printer they can comment on? Would appreciate it.

Thanks.

I got my son (who has no trouble with computers or PS) one of the previous generation PictureMates, and he loves it. The pictures look very good. They look much better than what I was getting from my Epson 1200. The consumable costs aren't bad either. The regular 100 print pack (paper and ink), in any local Bestbuy/Staples/etc. works out to $.29 a print. I've seen a 270 print pack on line at Newegg and the per print pricce is about $.23.

The best and most trouble-free printers for 4x6 inch prints are dye-sub printers. High-Touch makes several for under $150, as does Canon (Selphi). Some take CF cards directly, but only JPG or TIFF files, not RAW. Most P&S cameras make JPG files anyway. The Canon Selphi printers are very small - like a book - and make a good traveler. One version is battery/AC operated.

Dye-sub prints are nearly identical to Fuji C prints from a minilab, and are highly resistant to handling and water. There is no ink to spill or dry up. Inkjet prints are delicate (not the sort of thing you'd put in a wallet), and the printers are slow and prone to clogging. Consummable cost ranges from $0.25 for a Selphi to about $0.40 for the High-Touch. This is comparable to ink and premium paper from an inkjet. The cheapest prints will always be from a minilab, which can come directly from a CF card too.

I'd get an HP, one of the PhotoSmart series. I have two (the "old one" and the "new one"; I use them both) and they're great.

The latest models have an LED preview on the printer. You can get the consumables everywhere.

The thing that sold me on the HP in the first place is that THE PRINT HEAD IS IN THE INK CARTRIDGE! This means no more clogged heads needing repair shop attention!

And they give exquisite quality. I think HP are now doing a great job in the archival fine art market.

http://www.photo-i.co.uk has some great printer reviews. They review the HP 8450.

Hope this helps.

I know you said you had bad luck with a Canon mini printer before, but give the Selphy 730 a chance. Canon did make a couple small inkjet printers, one of the Selphy models was an inkjet too, if I recall correctly, but those all suck. You want a dye-sub model. I've got a Selphy 710, and it's amazing. I take it with me to wedding receptions, run around and take pictures of my friends, print them, and give the pics to them before they leave.

The prints have a protective clear layer on the front that keeps them from being mucked up by fingerprints and the like, and all the pictures are postcards to boot. But don't just take my word for it, head on down to Ye Olde Camera Store and ask to see some sample prints, ask to see a demonstration of the printer if they'll let you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...