Which side of the film flattening pins on a Graflex 23 120 Film Holder Does the Film go on?

bobpeters

Which side of the film flattening pins on a Graflex 23 120 Film Holder Does the Film go on? I read the manual, and it says that you can load it outside the holder. Does that mean it goes on top of the pins? Mine is one with a knob winder and the pins, and a Rochester 8 address on the inside of the cover. Also is there a way to get nine shots onto a roll?

1) The pins are part of the shell. Load the film in the insert, put the insert in the shell. Get the manual. Read the manual.

2) Inserts fit all shells. You may have an older insert in a newer shell. I've seen 'em. Or you may have a late knob wind roll holder. Graflex came up with the pins before the lever wind insert.

3) No. You're a cheap <obscenity deleted>. If you want to squeeze nine shots out of a roll, use an Adapt-A-Roll 620 roll holder.

1) The pins are part of the shell. Load the film in the insert, put the insert in the shell. Get the manual. Read the manual.

2) Inserts fit all shells. You may have an older insert in a newer shell. I've seen 'em. Or you may have a late knob wind roll holder. Graflex came up with the pins before the lever wind insert.

3) No. You're a cheap <obscenity deleted>. If you want to squeeze nine shots out of a roll, use an Adapt-A-Roll 620 roll holder.

Great as I don't have to get the film under the pins. I think mine is a late knob wind, as it isn't a Singer, and says "23" Graflex on the back cover, as has a pre-'63 Postal Zone number on the inside of the cover. I have an adapt-a-roll 620 for 2x3, but I was wondering if there was an intermediate position on the counter that allowed for a 9th frame as it's a knob wind, or if the counter started later, as its "automatic". I have a couple PDF copies of the manual.

The difference between a Graflex Knob wind and Lever wind is the ratcheting lever. Film advance is regulated by a notched cam. The film holder was geared for film thickness of the era it was made in, newer films are thinner and frames may touch or overlap. A dirty gear train can cause overlapping also.

web-Page-10.jpg.3970285c35bfb8d3808bb2420b8e6ba2.jpg

Item 22 is the cam, item 21 is the lever that locks the cam.

You may find this thread of interest: Graflex.org :: View topic - Graphic Roll Film Holder update

Edited by thirteenthumbs

The difference between a Graflex Knob wind and Lever wind is the ratcheting lever. Film advance is regulated by a notched cam. The film holder was geared for film thickness of the era it was made in, newer films are thinner and frames may touch or overlap. A dirty gear train can cause overlapping also.

[ATTACH=full]1210992[/ATTACH]

Item 22 is the cam, item 21 is the lever that locks the cam.

You may find this thread of interest: Graflex.org :: View topic - Graphic Roll Film Holder update

Thanks. I know that with my 1963 Iskra, I have to tighten the film a lot, to get the counter to work with modern film, as it has an automatic counter that pierces the backing paper.. I read that about the Iskra somewhere else.