Which of the mirrorless cameras take Leica lenses?

Troll

<p>Are we talking about lenses without any adapters? I don't believe that is possible. However, I do use LTM lenses on my Panasonic G1, which is a first genereation mirrorless body. Olympus, Panansonic and Sony NEX systems, the three main players in mirrorless should all take M lenses with an adapter. You may find that a very slight exposure compensation may be required for some older lenses.</p>

<p>I would be very surprised if you can't find adapters to use any of the reasonably-common Leica lenses (LTM, M, R) on any of the reasonably common mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras (Sony NEX, Olympus and Panasonic Micro-Four-Thirds, Fuji X; and <em>maybe</em> Canon EOS-M and Nikon 1). No doubt some cameras will be more useful than others; e.g., focus-peaking (maybe more common on Sony models but others may have it too?) would seem to be a great feature for any but the widest-angle lenses. No doubt for most lenses / most uses, the larger sensors will be most useful, so in order of largest to smallest, you have Sony and Fuji (about 1.53x crop), Canon (about 1.61x crop), Olympus and Panasonic (about 1.85x crop), and Nikon (about 2.73x crop).</p>

<p>Micro 4/3 cameras are fun but essentially for casual users. My Fujifilm X-Pro1 is much more suited for advanced photographers but is not quite a pro camera. I'll be writing about this in an article for Viewfinder soon. I'll be comparing it to the Leica M 240, which is full frame and the only professional mirrorless camera on the market right now. </p>

<p>Its sometimes maddening quirks aside, the X-Pro1 is a fun camera to use. The variety of lenses it can take almost matches the m4/3 cameras and its resolution is outstanding. It is <em>the</em> camera for available light photography. </p>

<p>The Samsung NX models don't take Leica M or LTM lenses, apparently. Some camera systems do accept the lenses, but might only offer unmetered manual, e.g., the Nikon 1 system. So google thoroughly before deciding.<br /><br />I have been dabbling about a bit myself with older lenses on M43 and find it quite challenging to get the focus right. I am using an Olympus E-PL1, which neither has a great screen nor an eye-level finder nor focus peaking, so that might be part of the reason. I have native 14 and 19 mm lenses, so I have wide-angle covered, but I was looking for some fast portrait options and got a pair of cheap Leica M and Nikon F adapters.<br /><br />Most of the time, I have to spend too much mental energy on getting the focus right - as opposed to interacting with the subject, so I would definitely not rely on this as my only way of shooting portraits. Landscapes or architecture would be a different case, of course :-)<br /><br />Hope this helps :-)</p><div>00bxgp-542273584.JPG.6a74fd52a8fa264bcc3c2edc08571bd7.JPG</div>

<p>And the final one. You will notice that all three pictures are shot in the square - that particular feature is - to me - one of the greatest things about many of the mirrorless systems. And one of the primary reasons that I'm not shooting Sony instead of M43. The NEX system doesn't feature a square aspect ratio. So google that feature, too, before you decide on a system...</p><div>00bxgw-542273884.jpg.a0f6d000fde73e31f6ddd59b097a5074.jpg</div>

<p>I have owned Leica range-finder cameras and lenses since 1985 and was using them much earlier. I have no mirrorless equipment but have been following developments a little better than casually. Leica lenses are good, no doubt about that: but there is no doubt either that other makers' LTM and M mount lenses are also good. I can understand that those who change camera bodies will wish to keep using lenses which they like. However, if ever I change to a mirrorless system, I am unlikely to keep my Leica mount lenses. The reason is that they were computed for a certain size of sensitive material, while the lenses that come with Olympus, Panasonic, Sony, Fuji mirrorless cameras are made for those cameras: and all the evidence I have seen suggests that they are good lenses. They are not large because they make small images and also because they do not have to go with a large diameter mount. I like my thick grey wool socks -- but I would not wear them with bathroom slippers.</p>

• 4 weeks later...