Which Nikon lenses are Planar design?

thomas_k.

<p>An article on wikipedia on Planar design lenses (symmetrical, six element air spaced) says: "A classic Planar design is the 105mm f/2.5 Nikkor produced from 1971 to 2006." Are there any other nikkor lenses with Planar design glass?</p>

<p>Planar perhaps is not Nikon original design.</p>

<p>I do not think there is a Nikon lens marked as Planar.<br />For the sake of simplicity or similarity, some designs were close or identical to other original lenses.</p>

<p><br />The best lenses like Planar, Sonnar, Tessar, etc. were suscessfully reverse engineered by others, sometimes even exceeding final product copy quality beyond the original lens.</p>

<p>Planar is a Zeiss trademarked lens name. Their are a few other Nikkors that could be close to the Zeiss Planar design, I think the older Nikkor H 50mm is pretty close. But, that above quote is incorrect, like kind of way off, the 105mm is a Xenotar type, 5 element with one cemented pair, so totally NOT a "symmetrical, six element air spaced" . Read more at http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/technology/nikkor/n05_e.htm</p>

<p>Yeah, me neither. Nikon's own optical historian claims it as a Xenotar type rather than a Gauss, so I went with that. Maybe its from the Rollei angle, those guys are known to 'discuss' back and forth about the merits of the Rollei TLR Planar vs Xenotar. Wish I still had a copy of Kingslake's book handy, shows early Planar vs Xenotar differences.</p>

<p>Planar is a Carl Zeiss trademark.<br /> <br /> Xenotar is a Schneider trademark.<br /> <br /> There are some Xenotar and Planars that are almost indentical in design;</p>

<p>ie both double Gauss types;<br /> <br /> with slightly different design tweaks; glass types; spacings; elements; since they are by competitors.</p>

<p><em>"... I am not sure where they got the Planar from... "</em><br /> For sure Wikipedia is a very useful tool, but <em>plenty full</em> of inexactitudes. I`ve found many of them. Unless from a well known source of yours, as a general rule I`d always take internet with a grain of salt. Even Wikipedia.</p>

<p>Christiaan; Planar is a trade name; Gauss is the design to us optical folks. To the laymans world; one calls a Ford Mustang a sports car; one does not call a Ford Mustang a Camaro. </p>

<p>Wikipedia is a mess of facts and gumbled stuff; sometimes inputs are from goobers; dolts; the lay public.</p>

<p>Here I quote an actual physical published reference; where the new 1971 105mm was called a modified Gauss. Maybe the Wikipeda auathor cannot read; or works for Ziess and thus wants to plug a Zeiss trademark; maybe the Wikipedi author too has an agenda; or is lay and stupid too.</p>

<p>The Review of the 105mm F2.5 Nikkor #418477 is in October 1971 Modern Photography. It reviews the newer optical design of the 105mm. In *THIS ARTICLE* it is where it says:</p>

<p>*"have adopted a modified Gauss formula".*</p>

<p> In the Nikon Schools in teh early 1970's they called the new 105mm a Gauss type lens. Typically vendors prefer to call their products by the design; and NOT anothers trademark of a competitor; ie Planar or Xenotar.</p>

<p>It is not in the DNA of many Wikipedia authors to quote actual references; in some cases Wikepedia is more like a slanted advertisement; and thus trademarks are mentioned.</p>

<p>In early Wikipedia articles they had the classical; lay, newbie dogma that all Kodak Ektars are a Tessar type design which is false; thus one has dolts writing encylopedias. There are 3, 4, 5 and 6 element Ektars. Wikipedia is free and has improved alot; often it has glaring mistakes; major holes; or a political slant from hell. Wikipedia requires actual folks to fix and remove the vast falsehoods to improve it. It is great but not always a real reference with references; more like a comic book; sales or BS one too.</p>

<p>It's more complicated then I hoped for...<br>

Anyway, what then "Planar" means when stamped by Zeiss on their lenses? Apparently this article I read on wikipedia is all wrong even in giving definition: "six element, air spaced" - current ZF 85mm 1.4 Planar lens in nikon mount has 6 elements in 5 groups, 2 elements are cemented together. All this comes from questions I asked myself: Are Zeiss lenses unique in design or unique in craftsmaship? Are they (current ones available in nikon mount) so good because of their optical design or they are simply very well made?</p>

<p>"Planar" is a trade name at Zeiss; like "Camaro" is at General Motors.</p>

<p>An as analogy is that there are many types of Camaro models at GM ; and many types of Planar models at Carl Zeiss Optics.</p>

<p>Zeiss *OWNS* the Planar name; like GM owns the Camaro name.</p>

<p>Both the family of Planars at Zeiss and family of Camaros have a certain style; ie design.</p>

<p>The Zeiss Planar family goes back to 1896; the GM Camaro to 1966.</p>

<p>Lay folks might think that there is only one Zeiss Planar or only one GM Camaro model; but after some research learn there are many types.</p>

<p>Another analogy is a circular saw; some folks call them Skill saws; one brand name. If Milwaukee makes a circular saw they will call it a circular saw; NOT a Skill saw; because one is using a Competitors brand name.</p>

<p>There are many makes of Double Gauss type lens designs; ie Carl Zeiss *Planar* ; the Schneider *Xenotar*; a few Eastman Kodak *Ektars* ( The Ektar Kodak brand name just means a quality product IT DOES NOT MEAN A DESIGN TYPE AT ALL) . One can have 6 elements all air spaced or 6 with a couple cemented together and still have a double gauss lens type.</p>

<p>If folks here seek a simple answer; ask yourself what only shoe does a woman use; or engine a Camaro has.</p>

<p>One has 7 element Carl Zeiss Planars; 4 cylinder Iron duke Pontiacs engines in Camaros.</p>

<p>Lay folks might say the only engine in a Camaro is a V8; or a Zeiss Planar is only one exact design; and not fathom 100 + years of Planars; or 40 years worth of Camaros</p>

<p>It is more common to say a lens is a (Zeiss) Tessar type design than probably saying one is a (Zeiss) Planar type design.</p>

<p>When the GM Camaro came out sold folks called it GM's Pony car; implying copy or like the Ford Mustang.</p>

<p>If one said the 1967 GM Camaro was a copy of the 1964 Ford Mustang; it sort of was; but not really.<br>

Just implying hits the hornets nest.</p>

<p>There are many Carl Zeiss Planar variants over 100 + years; some calling it on exact formula is a bit simplistic</p>

<p>How about minivan and SUV are NOT brand names;</p>

<p>but Honda has its *ODYSSEY*;</p>

<p>Toyota has its *SIENNA*;</p>

<p>Kia has a *SEDONA*;</p>

<p>Mazda has the *MAZDA5*</p>

<p>If lay folks started to substitute *ODYSSEY* every time they really meant SUV or minivan others might get confused too.</p>

<p>Again in since it still does not sink in; *PLANAR* is a Carl Zeiss Tradename; like *SIENNA* is a Toyota tradename</p>

<blockquote>

<p>So, Zeiss calls ALL of their 50mm and 85mm lenses Planars regardless of their optical composition or characteristics?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>No, they have made Sonnars too in those focal lengths. Planar is a lens design, but the name "planar" is trademarked by Zeiss. So the same basic design is used by other companies, but it's not marketed as "planar".</p>

<p>Thomas;</p>

<p>Zeiss made the 50mm F2.8 Zeiss Tessar; a different optical design. ( 4 ELEMENTS 3 GROUPS)</p>

<p>Zeiss made 85mm Tessars; the tele tessar</p>

<p>Zeiss made the Zeiss Sonnar 85mm F2</p>

<p>***Zeiss does not call all their 50mm or 85mm lenses Planar; nor does GM call all their cars a Camaro.</p>

<p> A CARL ZEISS pair of eyeglasses with a single element +11 3/4 diopter is a 85mm lens; it is NOT a Zeiss Planar but just a super strong pair of eyeglasses.</p>

<p>There is a good chance that a Zeiss lens in 2020 that is double Gauss type design will be called a *Zeiss Planar*</p>

<p>and a good chance a GM/Chevy sports car in 2020 will be called a *Camaro*.</p>

<p> Both Zeiss and GM own the trademarks Planar/Camaro; they probably not use them for dime store maginfying glasses or golf carts.</p>

<p>***Maybe the impass here is the word trademark is not understood.</p>

<p>Zeiss owns the trademark name Planar when used for lenses.</p>

<p> Some how this is not sinking in yet.</p>

<p>A Zeiss Planar is a brand name for a double Gauss type of lens design.</p>

<p> There is no rigid law that says a Zeiss planar HAS to be some exact rigid formula or that a Ford Mustang has to be some very specific design</p>

<p>The 80mm F2.8 Xenotar here is a double Gauss lens design made by Schneider.</p>

<p>They do NOT call it a Planar or a Ektar or Rokkor; or Acmegon because their competitor(s) own these names. Thus Schneider calls their double gauss design a Schneider Xenotar.</p>

<p>Schneider owns the Xenotar tradename. </p>

<p>Thomas</p>

<p>the 45mm F2.8 Nikkor GN and new variant Nikkor -P are a 4 element 3 group; NON double Gauss design; ie a Tessar design.</p>

<p>Tessar too is a Carl Zeiss trademark; but it is used more often to say a lens is a Tessar type design than Planar type.</p>

<p>The "all or them" is a very dangerous assumption; since Nikon has made lenses since world war 1!</p>

<p>There are also 50mm lenses for 16mm cine/movies with 4 elements; and even 60 year old 5cm enlarging lenses that are 3 elements</p>