Which LF Camera is best for a novice?

Recently, I received several boxes of Polaroid 545i film and a mint condition

Polaroid 545 film holder from some older relatives. I am not familiar with LF

photography and I have spent time reading through previous posts on this site.

I would like to purchase a camera that would accompany the film and film back

that I have.

There seem to be quite a few options. Could someone please recommend which

cameras might be best for a novice? I have seen everything from a Graflex Speed

Graphic for a few hundred dollars to very expensive, old Polaroid cameras.

I definitely do not want to pick up a model off of ebay that will not accompany

what I already have. For a side note, I would like to use these Polaroids to

make some portraits.

Any assistance is welcomed!

Thanks,

Donald

I began recently with my second venture into LF photo. I bought a Calumet 4x5 with Schneider 135mm f/4.7 off ebay for fairly cheap. I went with a view camera over a field camera but have thought about picking up a Graphic the next time I have that kind of money sitting around. Obviously, there are advantages to both. Field cameras offer more practical portability, while view cameras offer more flexibility. I am rarely very far from my car when I have my 4x5, so lack of portability was a huge factor for me. The best way to help yourself is to read, read read on this sight as well as www.largeformatphotography.info/. Best, JR

Donald: Polaroid is discontinuing film production. So you might not want a 4x5 camera unless you plan to shoot regular film after you run out of Polaroid film. If you do want to continue with 4x5, give us some idea of the budget for camera, lens and tripod and I am sure you will get recommendations here.

Are you interested in something to work only in the studio, or do you want something that can be toted about without breaking your back? Field cameras are more easily packed around, while monorails offer more rear movements and often more bellows extension. That's not to say that they both can't be used for the same things, just that there is a weight difference to consider and a little functionality. There are a lot of good options, depending on what you want out of it. For what it's worth, I still use my first large format camera, a 4x5 Korona field camera - I liked it so much I got an 8x10 version as well. Bellows out the kazoo and lightweight too!

- Randy

The Speed Graphics are very popular cameras, apparently easy to keep running, and very portable. They are very very limited compared to a real 4x5 view camera, but the advantage is they are inexpensive and there are tons of people using them and discussing them online, so there is a healthy (and not too snobby) support network for them. As soon as you step into the world of view cameras, you step into a completely different world of high prices and sometimes quite a bit of snobbery! Check out the Large Format forums here for an idea of whats going on, and check the archives of the Classic Cameras forums for examples from the Speed Graphic.

I agree with the gist of the previous postings

the speed graphic or crown graphic ( front shutter only)

will let you take it out into the world and shoot hand held.

remember tho, unless the polaroid film is fairly new, and not 10 years old, it may be unusable. and when it's gone, it;s gone.

the developer pod dries out.

Older 35mm or 120 roll film will expire but be usable for several years.,

You can shoot 10 year old 35 & 120 film and expect it to work.

Not so with polaroid.

( I recently developed a 20 year old roll of kodacolor 400, it was fine)

( baby photo of a 24 year old lady)

4 x 5 is the only really usable size in LF

a crown graphic or other similar 4 x5 camera, will not cause you to think like the year 1904 . after the polaroid film is gone, consider buying a Grafmatic holders.

Great responses! Thank you for your suggestions. I definitely needed to know the difference between view cameras and field cameras. I think that a Graflex Speed may work well for me since I just want to experiment with studio portraits. I have been looking on ebay for various models and availability. Here is one that interested me:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?MfcISAPICommand=ViewItem&item=110256262650

Are there any other suggestions for reputable places online to purchase a Graflex that would be in good shape?

Thanks again!

If there is a local camera shop near you that sells old cameras, they probably have a Speed Graphic somewhere. This seller seems to have tons of these things around.... I would say be patient and look for a good deal with a reputable seller.. although ebay has become much more difficult to shop since they have put up all of the "privacy restrictions".

• 1 month later...

Different regions give different prices on Graphic cameras, if you buy in Northern Ohio, the prices are generally very low on these, the price goes up in Columbus. Have seen more than a few go very reasonably at camera shows when someone finds a box in the attic. Probably walked home with too many myself.

Very capable cameras, the more recent glass was often Schneider, something to look at if you go that way.