Which Lens for d3000 doing Star trails

bob_crow

<p>Hi, </p>

<p>I have been getting into this Startrail frenzy here lately! My question is what lens would be good for getting startrails? I am using the 18-55 kit lens a little and just wondering if I'm wasting my time with it or not! I have got some decent shots.......The other thing is I was looking at a non auto focusing lens that is considerably less than a motorized lens for my d3000. Since I'm only planning on doing star trails with this lens would that not be the better way to go. Also, would one of these even work on my d3000? I am assuming that it would work, just not autofocus, correct?</p>

<p>Thanks for helping a newbie!</p>

<p>Bob</p>

<p>Hi Bob, ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with using the "kit" lens on your D3000. Contrary to the lens snobs, other than overall build quality, the optics are actually quite good. If you are considering a manual focus Nikon prime, virtually all of them are great. I personally like wide angle stuff, you may not. I would get get the remote for your camera though, it will make life much easier for you. Google PNet or wherever for shooting and set up tips. Yes, the manual focus lens will be fine on your 3000, it will not meter or autofocus.<br>

Have Fun!<br>

Mark</p>

<p>As a certified "lens snob" I will agree that there's nothing wrong with your 18-55mm "kit" lens. You want a nice wide lens and don't need to shoot wide open, so the optics will be quite fine for star trails. </p>

<p>I'm pretty sure you can use the $15 ML-L3 IR remote for release and this will make your life easier.</p>

<p>Thanks guys for your quick responses! I do in fact, already have the ml-l3 remote and have been having fun using it! It is totally worth the 13 dollar price of admission, lol! I would love to get one of those prime lenses, but from all of your comments I think I will use my kit lens for now and learn a bit more before taking the plunge for more "stuff"........I just bought a 70-300 Sigma zoom last month.......If there is anyone out there looking to get rid of a prime lens at a decent price I might be persuaded though?<br>

PS- Nice shot Matthew, what were your camera settings on this one?</p>

<p>Thanks Everyone!</p>

<p>Bob</p>

<p>Thanks guys for your quick responses! I do in fact, already have the ml-l3 remote and have been having fun using it! It is totally worth the 13 dollar price of admission, lol! I would love to get one of those prime lenses, but from all of your comments I think I will use my kit lens for now and learn a bit more before taking the plunge for more "stuff"........I just bought a 70-300 Sigma zoom last month.......If there is anyone out there looking to get rid of a prime lens at a decent price I might be persuaded though?<br>

PS- Nice shot Matthew, what were your camera settings on this one?</p>

<p>Thanks Everyone!</p>

<p>Bob</p>

<div>00YIX3-335737584.JPG.7e9ed7d4dc68639c8573236b1759be1b.JPG</div>

<p>The lens isn't as important for what you want to do. The biggest thing for star trails is having a good sturdy tri-pod and a long shutter speed. Maybe get a remote shutter release to minimize any camera shake.</p>

<p>You shouldn't need a lens that's extremely fast, so it really just comes down to how much zoom you feel like you'll need. You can certainly use one of the non-auto-focus lenses if you'd like. It just won't auto-focus with your camera so you'll need to focus manually with it.</p>

<p>Another option, if you want more zoom, is the Nikon 55-200mm lens. I think it sells for somewhere around $200 - $250 and it will autofocus with your camera. I have a D5000 and I use that lens along with the 18-55mm kit lens.</p>

<p>EDIT: I see in your other post you already have a remote and a Sigma 70-300mm lens. Very good, carry on. :)</p>

<p>Pauly,<br>

you can xperiment with it, but if you stretch the time for too long, your sensore my overheat, giving you red patches in your image.. , I'm not sure wether this will also hurt your sensor..<br>

If you want to do realy long times , youre better of using film ...</p>

<p>Paulie,<br>

I have tried some longer exposures and by the one I posted you can see my purplish top corners getting hot! I am going to try a series of shorter exposures and stacking them with software............The program I will be using is Startrails. This sounds like the better way to do startrails..........<br>

Does anyone know if there is some kind of attachment (timer) that I can put on my D3000 to press the shutter with a remote and then not have to babysit it?.......I've been told that on this camera there is not, that I will have to do this manually.</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Does anyone know if there is some kind of attachment (timer) that I can put on my D3000</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Bob, you maybe could try a program like Nikontrol, to control your cam from yuor PC ( tethered..) . ? ( not sure if this works for a D3000, but these programs use an USB connection..) .<br>

Heré a link : <a href="http://www.savy.ro/nikontrol-news/nikontrol-3k-v1-4-is-out/">http://www.savy.ro/nikontrol-news/nikontrol-3k-v1-4-is-out/</a></p>