Which flash should I use for this Event?

steve_tiffin

<p >I currently have the SB-600 but have not used it that much (have not had it that long) except for some indoor portrait. In a few weeks, I have the opportunity to shoot at a Barrel racing event. My lens for the most part I think will be the Nikon 70-200 F/2.8 VR 1. Also I will take the N-35mm f/1.8D and N-50mm f/1.8D. And the N-18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 VR. Huge Indoor soft lighted arena. I will have access to most areas up to the fence. I can sell my SB-600 to a friend and am prepared to buy the SB-900 if need be. I would like some advice on the lenses for shooting this event and should I keep the SB-600 or sell it and get the SB-900? I reallly would appreciate some expert professional advice here. This will be my first for this type of action shoots.<br />Thank You</p>

<p>Steve -</p>

<p>Check with the event manager and see if flash is even permitted...</p>

<p>The problem with flash at an event like that is that you have nothing to bounce the light off of. Not like a room or church - where you can usually find a wall or something.</p>

<p>So you're going to end up with a lot of harsh flash photos. </p>

<p>My advice - get a 70-200 F2.8 and shoot at 2400 ISO or so.</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>Thanks, I have permission to use the flash at this event and I already have the N-7o-200 f/2.8 VR. The Event mgr is my friend and I have been told that they always have a Photographer there. I will stay out of his/her way but observe his/her style/technique and equipment. I will go there and practice prior to the Event with enough time left to either purchase another flash or additonal flash.<br>

Thank You </p>

<p>Although the SB900 seems the obvious choice I would do some research prior the making the buy<br>

Is has the higher guide number and recycle time, but also the well reported heat problems which due to the built in safety causes the flash to shut down on not always the best of times<br>

When shooting at large venues it will, especially when shooting fast, press the flash to give higher discharges and you might run into the before-mentioned problems<br>

Some reports say that getting the extra battery package will help avoid this, especially when using slow recharging batteries like Eneloops<br>

The high temperature safety can be turned of but you might then risk a melt down ( as has reportedly happened with many SB800 in the past)<br>

I use both the SB600 (even got a second one recently) and SB800's and I like the weight, and size (used Metz 60CT4 in the past) and excellent (exposure and recycle) performance</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I would think you'd be better off using no flash...I don't think one on-camera will be strong enough to really freeze the action. I haven't seen the venue, but if the ambient is just bright enough, you'll end up with a lot of blur, plus you'd need to gel your flash so you don't have odd light against whatever ambient lighting they have. If you had some strong monolights, then you'd almost certainly have enough power to over-power the ambient and get good shots. Just my 2c.</p>