Which eye do you use to look through the viewfinder?

markus_myllym_ki

Right hand, right eyed. I don't have the coordination to squint my right eye and keep my left eye open enough to see with it. LOL

While we are on this thread, do you all close an eye when shooting? I have to otherwise I can't focus on what's in the viewfinder. I used to work with a guy who was left eyed who would keep his right eye open while shooting. I can see where it would have its benefits...but I just can't make it work.

I close my "non-shooting" eye while looking through the viewfinder. We don't think about it much, but most of us are "right-eyed" or "left-eyed". Try this: Make an "OK" sign with your index finger and thumb. Hold it out and look through it without thinking. Which eye do you use? That's the one you're likely to use with your camera too. I first noticed this years ago when shooting a rifle; I'm right-handed but my right eye is terrible. I'll shoulder a rifle to my my right shoulder, but site the gun with my left eye, which is rather awkward, but I wasn't a bad shot! ;-)

Left eye. I forced myself into this habit long ago. Why? Because this way you don't have

to close the other eye. It is typically blocked by the back of the SLR, which is black. After

a long day of shooting it is very fatiguing to keep closing one eye and this solves that

problem for me.

Also, I take many shots with the sun in it. I have a feeling this may catch up with me one

day and at least I'll have one good eye left! If I kept changing the eye I use to look through

the viewfinder, both eyes would be bad!

What we do for our art...

Right/Right

Something to think about though:

When I shoot car/motorcycle races I still use my right eye at the viewfinder but I keep my left eye open so that I can watch the vehicle as it approaches and enters my viewfinder frame so that I can compose it well and release the shutter at the instant I need. After ten minutes my brain stops flipping from eye to eye and is willing to co-operate and give me an impression from each eye...almost like an overexposed double exposure. Reminds me of those dot pictures that were so big a few years ago, I have to be careful not to flip to one eye or the other but it does come back immediately if I just let my brain do the work. A left eye user may have difficulty since the pentaprism will get in the way.

I also have to be careful to keep my left hand off the top of the telephoto lens or it too blocks the view - took me a few shots to figure that one out at the first event of the year!