Which circular polarizer

flickr url

Hello,

<br>I have an 18-35 nikkor, I need a circular polarizer. I use the

cokin system for my other lenses but I've read some negative reviews

here about using the cokin system circular polarizer with a wide

angle. My question, which circular polarizer can be used safely at 19-

20mm without 'corner dispersion' issues? Would I have to go back to

the screw-in types? the singh-ray models seem tooooo expensive...

<br>Comments/suggestions welcome,

<br>Thanks for any response,

<br><br>Naveen

Nikon, B&W and Singh Ray all make slim 77 mm circular polarizers. As for quality they are

all excellent. I've used the B&W 77 mm circular polarizer with the 18-35 mm Nikkor and

haven't had problems with vignetting. Although all three are expensive my first choice

would have to be the Singh Ray polarizers.

"My question, which circular polarizer can be used safely at 19- 20mm without

'corner dispersion' issues? "

And the answer is..................zero, nada, zip, zilch, as in NONE! The reason is that

polarizers do not function in excess of 90 degrees. Remember polarizers only effect

reflected light at 90 degree angles, so any angles beyond 90 degrees are not

polarized, thereby making corners different from the main body of images shot with a

lens that goes beyond a 90 degree viewing angle, such as the angles used in the lens

setting that you mentioned. Too wide for a polarizer.

Taking Carl Stone at his word & assuming that the 18-35mm Nikkor is to be used at angles of less than 90 degrees many of the better CP's should work.The Nikkor 18-35mm whilst it has a 77mm filter thread is said to have a much bigger diameter than it needs to be & the 77mm filter thread is overkill.If you must have a thinner CP the Hoya hybrid UV/CP is good & not as expensive as the Nikons & B&W's.($120 CDN)

Naveen,

I recommend the Nikon circular polarizer. Once you have had a thin or common polarizer stuck on a lens you will appreciate the design of the Nikon polarizers. If you are planing to use the polarizer to darken skies we learn best from our mistakes. If you want to remove surface reflections in photographs that do not include the sky you may find the filter useful at 20mm or so. If this is the only lens you plan to use this filter on you might find another photographic priority for your money.

Regards,

Dave Hartman.

"If this is the only lens you plan to use this filter on you might find another

photographic priority for your money.'

Absolutely, since a CP is not exactly a must have for everyone. Having said that, I

would buy a Nikon 77mm CP and step down rings, so that the filter could work on all

of my Nikon lenses, if I was buying a CP.

Carl,

<br>I never knew that there was such a thing called step down rings...(my apologies if I sound dumb - I'm still learning) I checked out the Nikon 77mm CP, this is a regular screw in type filter, not the Cokin 'P' type. Do Adorama / B&H carry step down rings, coz something like that would really be cool...

<br>

<br>What also surprises me though is that Nikon's website does not mention any filters anywhere.

<br>

<br>I am almost convinced that Nikon 77mm is the one that I need to get.

<br>

<br>Thanks for all the responses,

<br>

<br>

<br>-Naveen

Naveen,

Yes, B&H and Adorama, among others, carry step down rings. This allows one to buy

one filter size, the largest, for all of their lenses. This works for all of your lenses

except for some of the larger telephotos like the 300mm and up. You can ask for

specific step down sizes to meet your needs, 77mm to 62mm for example. The larger

number is your filter size and the smaller number represents the filter thread size of

any particular lens.

Naveen, just keep in mind one rather significant issue (for me anyway). The Nikon 77mm polarizer is an oversized filter. The reason for this is to prevent vignetting. I have yet, with years of trying, to find any lens cap on this planet to fit that polarizer. B&H cannot and has not been able to help one bit. I have since switched to the B&W models which have a stellar reputation. In fact I have recently been using the B&W warmtone polarizer which has been very impressive..with the slight warming effect. It costs $205 at B&H. And yes, any standard lens cap fits over those. Just a thought to keep in mind.

Vince,

<br>Noooooooooooo... I just bought a Nikon 77mm CP. Just kidding. I can live with the fact that a lens cap does not fit the Nikon 77mm CP. I have a Tiffen 77mm UV, the cap supplied for the 18-35 nikkor does not fit it anyways...

<br>

<br>Thanks for all the response, everyone. My decision making process is a lot lot easier now.

<br>Regards,

<br>

<br>-Naveen

• 7 months later...
  • 3 years later...

If you may be using wide angle lenses, I suggest a polarizing screen that is thin and does

not have the threads for attaching another filter to it. Hoya makes an excellent thin

multicoated circular polarizing screen. This is necessary to avoid vignetting. Check out

the Hoya website as well as The Filter Connection at www.2filters.com If you call the toll

free number for The Filter Connection, ask for John. He is the owner and will give you

excellent advice. If you are not going to use wide angle lenses (wider than 18mm) then

another polarizing screen will likely do without vignetting. B+W is an excellent brand. I

found a used one for less than half price at a local camera store. Happy filter shopping.