Which card to use?

I have been using strathmore photo frame cards to insert a photograph for sale at art fairs, considering trying something where I can instead print right onto the card, any good quality cards with envelopes you've tried? also possibly postcards.

thanks!

Sorry, no clue.

Whatever inkjet you might choose will most likely work best on dedicated paper (sold via manufacturer or for example Hahnemühle). If you want to do quite a few cards, why don't you get the backside pre-printed by some tiny die hard mum & pop offset printshop and have those folks cut the stock down for you and maybe even crease it, so a 4 pages card will fit into an envelope?

Do a test run, if your printer handles creased material at all, figure out if it prints seamlessly and most importantly if it feeds cards kind of reliably, since uttering nautical curses on location could harm your sales... There have been enough moments when I'd have preferred any old hand operated letter press or semi automatic silkscreening device over a *#*#-ing color laser not handling cardboard stock as well as promised.

Envelopes: Römerturm rings a bell in the back of my head as a manufacturer of posh stationary etc. Antalis seem to sell such stuff too. Maybe paper mills like Gmund offer enevelopes matching your taste? (Sorry if all mentioned brands are too European).

My personal preference to print postcards on location would be a dyesub printer, since it needs no maintenance between events and the prints appear quite rugged to me. So I'd hope customers have a chance to bring them home.

For mass printing Colorcopy seems a decent brand of laser cardboard, Algrodesign or Chromolux for offset Trucard isn't bad if you like its base color. - If your inkjet is able to print white base coat and glossy clear coat on top of everything, I'd go for colored stock by Gmund. - But a photo-inkjet on dedicated "photo" paper should deliver better looking results.

If your market is big enough I'd recommend pre-producing post cards maybe via a company like QSL.cz or the usual online print shops.

• 1 year later...