Which camera best for tethering

quan_lee

<p>Hi there,<br>

Need some pointers on which Canon/Nikon camera to get. I am a beginner in SLR, but have been using point to shoot cameras for many years. I was told that a professional camera to do catalog taking, would speed up and increase my capacity to do more pictures in a shorter time. My question is how do i know which camera can tether, can't seem to find such information in camera specs (or maybe i just don't know where to look). I appreciate any help on this subject. Thanks.</p>

<p>Both Nikon and Canon DSLR cameras can be used for tethered shooting.</p>

<p>Canon supplies a program with the cameras and can shoot tethered with most of the Canon line of DSLR cameras. http://www.beyondmegapixels.com/2011/02/tethered-shooting-with-a-canon-dslr/</p>

<p>With Nikon cameras you have to buy an additional program, like Nikon Camera Control, or use a program like Lightroom.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Quan, if you want to do product shooting for catalogs, you do need DSLR rather than a P&S to get good results on a consistent basis. But as a beginner, paying $3,000 to $8,000 for a professional level camera isn't going to give you any better pictures than a $500 to $1,000 camera. It depends on exactly what you need to shoot, but just about any DSLR can do the job. Lens selection and lighting are more important than which camera body. As for tethering, that sounds like a non-issue until you're a little farther along in the learning curve. Professional photographers generally tether their camera to a computer for a few reasons, such as: 1) They are working on a highly planned and coordinated shoot with an art director standing over their shoulder who wants to see exactly what they are shooting. They and/or the art director can be very precise in what they are looking for and want to examine the final image in more detail than they can see on the camera LCD. 2) They are shooting with one of the medium format or large format cameras that have mega chips with mega megapixels to the point you need a computer hard drive to conveniently store the files rather than a standard memory card (less an issue as memory cards get bigger in capacity) 3) They're doing high-volume, quick-turnaround work light Santa pictures at the mall where moving a memory card back and forth from camera to computer would slow them down.</p>

<p>If you want to do tethering I recommend any Canon DSLR over any Nikon. The reason is you need tethering software to do tethering and it comes standard with any Canon DSLR but is a very expensive extra cost item with Nikon. You do not need a professional quality DSLR. Any of the advanced amateur Rebel cameras will do quite well. What you will need is a macro lens for good close up detail. Sigma and Tamron make excellent macro lenses that are good alternatives to the Canon lenses. Personally I use the Tamron 90mm macro lens.</p>

<p>Danny Low</p>

<p>If you do not already have Lightroom 3, you will have to spend lots of money to get it which still comes down to spending lots of money to do tethering with Nikon. As the OP is a beginner it is doubtful that he already has Lightroom 3. Both Canon and Nikon provide free editing software with their DSLRs so tethering with a Nikon is the only choice that requires spending extra money. The Nikon tethering software is over $100 US. Lightroom 3 is almost $200 US. That is a substantial amount of money.</p>

<p>There are some freeware and shareware tethering software for the Nikon. The OP can try them but if they do not meet his needs, it is back to spending $100US or more for the "official" software.</p>

<p>Danny Low</p>