Which are the best Fujinon, Nikon lenses in their ranges for 4X5 and 8X10

grasshopper1

I am going to Japan in the summer and I intend to buy the scarce as hen's teeth Fujinon and Nikon lenses while I am there. Could anybody who has had extensive knowledge and experience tell me which are the best lenses Fuji or Nikon makes in all the different focal lengths compared to Schneider and Rodenstock. I am looking for lenses which are absolutely top of their class for 4X5 and 8x10 formats. Thanks. :-)

I'd consider each of the Fujinon C series: The 300 because it has 380mm of coverage compared to 325mm for the Nikkor M, the 450 because it's in a No. 1 shutter compared to the No. 3 shutter of the Nikkor M and because it has greater coverage, and finally the 600 because it is a compact lens with fantastic coverage (nearly 16 x 20) and in a class by itself. (I have to admit my knowledge of German lenses is rather limited.)

Considering the recent lenses put out by Schneider and Rodenstock and the total silence for years from the Japanese glass blowers I would opt for the European glass in a heartbeat. You want "absolutely the top of the class" and I don't think the asian glass will measure up to the latest Rodenstock Apo sironar series and XL Schneiders. I also thing the Schneider Tele lenses will be better if for no other reason than they had the competition lenses in hand when designing newer stuff to beat it. Schneider and Rodenstock are pushing the envelope constantly, not sitting on their hands. Their commitment to large format remains constant while Nikon and Fuji seem to be sitting back doing nothing lately.