Where to rent a video stabilizer (such as Steadicam Jr.)

brian_diaz

I was wondering if anyone could recommend where to rent a

stabilization system for a 3.5 pound mini DV camera in New York.

Also, about how much do you think that would run on a daily rental?

I only need it for 2 or 3 shots, and I'm on a very tight budget.

Thanks for all your help!

Although I can't answer specifically on where to rent such a system in NYC, have you considered the learning curve with successfully using a stabilizer?

These typically aren't "plug and play" systems; there's setup and balancing, and learning how to walk and move. Steadicam's don't compensate for up/down motion, like that produced by a person's normal gait. And when the camera begins to pivot horizontally, you have to learn how to smoothly bring the motion to a stop right where you want. It requires some degree of physical coordination that only comes from practice ... which a short rental period won't give you.

Unless the scenes you intend on shooting really need a stabilizer, I would think first about alternative ways to do the scene, such as with a tripod.

You don't want to pay a high rental fee for an uncertain learning curve, all for just 2 or 3 shots.

• 3 months later...

Just a follow-up for others' future reference--

<P>

I rented a Steady Tracker from Hello World (<a href="http://www.hwc.tv/">http://www.hwc.tv/</a>) on 22th St which also rents Glidecam systems for a reasonable price. I've now used it on about 9 days of shooting, as our budget has increased a bit and the director loves its flexibility.

<P>

As far as a learning curve goes, I have 2 comments. First, it is not difficult to learn because most serious videographers have learned to minimize vibrations when shooting handheld, and the same techniques translate nicely onto a stabalization device. Second, it is not difficult to use because it's video. Tape stock is cheap and no one expects it to look as good as it would if you had used a dolly or a union Steadicam operator. Frankly, I don't think the average viewer could tell the difference between a dolly shot and a Steadicam shot, but they could tell the difference between a handheld shot and cheap Steady Tracker shot. I'd say it's worth $20 a weekend, even for total beginners.

• 16 years later...

If you are looking for a Steadicam or a DJI Ronin, we have you covered as well! Hudson Radios (https://www.hudsonradios.com) is located directly next to the Brooklyn Navy Yard. In addition to stabilizers, we also provide walkie talkie rentals, WiFi hotspot rentals, and other communications devices.

Hudson Radios

19 N Oxford St., Studio 9

Brooklyn, NY 11205

917-444-1212

rentals@hudsonradios.com

Instagram

Facebook

Twitter