Where to Get a Dead Meter Nikon F2A Revived.

Vincent Peri

I just noticed the meter on one of my F2A bodies is not working. I thought it was the 2 MS76 batteries (which had the beginnings of corrosion on them). I swabbed out the battery compartment and cover and put in a new 3 volt lithium battery, but no luck. The meter needle remained absolutely still.

The F2A finder worked properly the last time I used it (a couple of months ago), and I know it hasn't been dropped or bumped against something.

Can anyone recommend a repairman (other than Sover Wong) to whom I can send it? I really want someone who is expert at servicing the F2A finder. I was going to send it to APS, but the last time I asked them for a quote on a piece of equipment, they seemed high.

Thanks for any help.

Edited by Vincent Peri

It may be worth taking off the finder to check the two electrical contacts between body and finder. Check that they are clean and use a mulitmeter to check whether the battery voltage appears across them. Remember the advance lever needs to be moved away from the body to switch on the power - sometimes this switch can be the problem.
  • Like 3

The little chrome button on top of the finder is the battery check - if you didn't know.

The leverwind still needs to be in the standoff position before you can use the battery check. The needle should centre when the B.C. button is pressed.

No deflection of the needle means one of two things.

1. There's no power reaching the finder.

2. The meter mechanism is stuck or open circuit.

If you have a multimeter, you can probe the F2 body contacts to see if voltage is present with the leverwind pulled out. If not, then the fault is in the body and it's pointless sending the Photomic finder for repair.

If you don't have a multimeter, it might be worth the price of one just to save needless postage or repair costs!

• Like 2

I decided to swap F2A finders around on my 3 F2 bodies. Two of the finders work when put on any of the 3 bodies. One finder doesn't work on any of the bodies.

I guess I'll bite the bullet and send that finder off for repairs, LOL.

Thanks, everyone, for your comments and suggestions.