What's next?

rjtully

<p>In September I purchased a T1i for my wife to give me for Christmas. We do this sort of thing every year. We both know what we want and tell each other. Done!<br>

Someone wrote somewhere that photography could lead to divorce. I think I know why....no, mine is not imminent but. while I patiently waited for Christmas and the camera, I added a few things which she know of. Battery grip, remote shutter release, wired release extra batteries and memory cards and a few other things. Now, a couple things slipped by her like a 580ex II, a 70-200 f4L and an EFS 10-22...neat..ordered that on Monday from Abe's and received it on Wednesday. Next I am looking at the 24-105 f4. Perfect..now, what will push her over the edge. I know there is something else I should be getting! Any Suggestions? Just don't tell my wife. Yet!<br>

Happy Holidays!</p>

<p>Slow down, see what you use first. The 10-22 and 70-200 cover everything except 23-69. Not much of a loss in my opinion and that gap is better served by a 50/1.8 over the 24-105 in my opinion. The 24-105 is not in the same league as the 70-200. In my opinion the 24-70/2.8 or older 28-70/2.8 would also be a better fit than the 24-105. If you must get an IS lens for those extremely rare opportunities to actually make use of it go for the cheap kit lens, 18-55 IS. </p>

<p>Overlapping your zooms is NOT a bad thing. The 70-200mm is one of Canon's very best lenses, so the 24-105 suffers a little in comparison, unless you process it with a program like DxO's Optics Pro 6.1 that geometrically corrects and sharpens the lens a bunch. The 24-105mm f4 is a great walk around lens. Since you have a great crop-sensor wide angle lens, then fill in with this for a complete range.</p>

<p>Don't buy a 50mm f1.4 unless you're going to use it a lot. When I look at my EXIF data I see very few images taken at 50mm. I find it much preferable to crop with the zoom. Unless you're a bokeh-freak, the cameras are fast enough these days that f4 is plenty fast. Some people do indeed like to lock into a particular focal length and milk that. That's a decent strategy, but most of those don't work that way.</p>

<p>A nice addition to your kit would be a 1.4 teleconverter.</p>

<p>hmm, i'd trade that 70-200 f/4 for a 70-200 f/2.8l then go for the 24-70 f/2.8l,<br>

there's no substitute for big apertures .... others will say high ISO is a sub.<br>

but me, i like them big apertures. then after you get those 2, get the 50mm<br>

f/1.2l and maybe an 85 1.8 .... should be good to go.</p>

<p>If she is a beginner, that is more than adequate to start. I would let her gain some experience and see what types of photography she enjoys. Until then, how can anyone here know what would be most useful? A longer telephoto? A short macro lens? A long macro lens? A faster medium telephoto? A fast prime for portraits? Yada, yada.</p>

<p>Unlike Jim Larson, I built up my kit in about a year and a half, but that was with substantial film experience in the olden days, and with the benefit of thousands of digital shots. And even stretching things over a year and a half, I made a mistake or two, buying lenses that I should not have bought.</p>

<p>I'd say that if you want to buy more, get a few good books and some software for postprocessing. Otherwise, just relax and have a good time.</p>

<p>Thank you all for your response. First, I am not new to photography. I have done semi-pro weddings but that was long ago. A little bit has changed since then, My first SLR was purchased in 1968. A Petri if anyone has any idea what that is! I have had numerous SLRs since then but until the T1i, the last was an Elan IIE. I never went past the basic lens set back then. The object of my question was simply this. With the 10-22 and the 70-200 (and I did get it with the kit lens 18-55) and I still have the 15-85 that came with the Elan IIE. I already do have the EX 1.4 II on my list. I don't see a need at this point to go beyond (70-200 + EX1.4) the approx. 448mm. One day perhaps. But with the 2 extremes I want something between them. A 50 (actually 35) possibly in the future if a need grows from all this then maybe! A macro is not likely since I do like close-up shots but not enough to go that way. The 24-70 appears to be a super lens. The reason I am leaning to the 24-105 is simply that it seems to be a better everyday carry around. As for having lots of time, for all this, while I hope to be around a lot longer, I am 62. Not as much time as many posters here I am sure. By the way, I may have already been to hollow earth. Now looking to book a trip to Middle Earth. Anyone ever been there? ; )</p>

<p>You Want to push your wife over the edge?</p>

<p>With all the dickering over the "small stuff" (lenses, remotes, flashes and...), did I miss the fact that you didn't list a GOOD camera/gadget bag? One that will provide adequate protection and get your kit to the photo site quickly and in style?</p>

<p>http://www.porsche.com/microsite/cayenneturbo-s/usa.aspx</p>

<p>If you hurry, you might just find a deal at a Boxing Day sale</p>

<p>;~))</p>

<p>Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!</p>

<p>Cheers! Jay</p>

<p>I'll join the chorus here saying that it would be a good idea to shoot a lot with what you have before you buy a lot more equipment. There are many reasons for this, but here is one, in the form of question: Did you start this because you were interested in owning photo equipment or because you were interested in photography?</p>

<p>If the former, you already have some fine equipment that you can enjoy as equipment. If the latter you have all you need now to make a lot of fine photographs. :-)</p>

<p>Dan</p>

<p>Well, ok then. Dan, I was looking at that lens but decided that because the color didn't seem to match on all the segments in the picture that I would pass on that. After all, how would that look?<br>

I did actually see that lens listed and wondered if that was truly a typo! I can not imagine how anyone would get enough use to justify that kind of out lay.<br>

Thank you all for your replies, I know the 2 main lenses I mentioned will cover a lot of ground. I am just a very impatient person but, I will take a break for a bit. No, I am not buying to collect. I have always loved photography and simply decided to get back into it after too long away from serious photography.<br>

Everyone have a great New Year and make some great photographs.</p>

<p>17-55 for walk-around, 35 1.4 L for low light.<br>

Camera bags, 1 small and 1 big.<br>

Tripods 1 big and 1 small, head, bag, super clamp, hotshoe level.<br>

Filters: UV, circular polarizers, ND, gradient.<br>

Flash diffuser, bouncer, soft box. Flash cable. Bracket. Slave flash.<br>

Extension tubes for macro.</p>

<p>Just to reconfirm -- you already are rather adept at the post processing? You have all this equipment, now you needed to edit, process, backup, display, and print your work. It's super easy to buy equipment -- the hard part is all the post work. Establish a workflow.<br>

Show it off!</p>

<p>Ken, I have had Photoshop since the Aldus Photostyler days. I am fairly proficient with it after more than 25 years. I can do my post processing just fine. As I mentioned earlier, I am simply getting back into photography after too many years away. I am a spoiled kid even at 62. So much that I did order the EF 24-105 F4L. With that I am now covered very well from 16mm to 320mm and eventually with the EF 1.4ex II out to 480mm. I eventually might get a 35mm f2 prime. Will have to decide whether to upgrade the T1i or not first.<br>

Happy New Year everyone!</p>