What type of finish do you prefer?

The day of the glossy print is largely over: it was felt that glossy reproduced better for publication. Most modern shooters want the paper surface to be "invisible," and the day of novelty surfaces is largely gone as well. My personal preference was always unferrotyped glossy or 'semi-matte.'As a custom lab operator for decades, I tried to give my clients what they wanted, but maintaining an inventory of stipple, ripple, dipple, pearl, luster, silk, linen, canvas, suede, ivory, dead matte, semi-matte, glossy, and you name it, was impractical, so I had them furnish their own novelty surfaces. Go with what you like. Would you ask other people to select your clothes and accessories for you?

The fastidious who check their prints for grain might mistake matte texture for grain.

Glossy photo paper has more contrast than matte so it is probably better. Perhaps matte resists fingerprints better...

I recently made some 12x18" glossy and matte prints of the same image. The film was Reala @80 printed on Fuji Crystal Archive from a Noritsu machine.

The glossy prints seemed to have slightly more contrast and therefore a certain "snappier" quality. However the glossy finish was really annoying to view because of the reflections.

The matte prints had better color. The colors were deeper and more saturated. I'm not sure if that was due to operator adjustments or not. It was also more pleasing to view due to the lack of reflections.

If you are going to frame the prints, then it doesn't matter. Overall I prefer the matte finish. The print that I tested was a portrait. Maybe I'll view things differently if the subject is non-living like some of the auto show images that I have.

Glossy for color and B&W RC papers, Matte for B&W Fiber papers. As glossy is a pain to handle due to fingerprints, I get Fuji's "lustre" finish when printing for someone else.

The thing I don't like about RC pseudo-matte finishes is they are not real matte, unlike the fiber papers, but rather a calendared (stamped) textured finish, and have annoying reflections when viewed any other way than head-on.