What SD card do you use for your Leica M10?

And does the installed firmware influence that?

My M9 uses 16gb Sandisk Extreme SDHC class 10 type 1, 48MB/S cards now. I suspect they will work reasonably well, but if I'm going to buy some more cards, maybe I should upgrade to 32GB cards? I don't want all my eggs in one basket if a card fails so having a card to last a whole trip isn't necessarily a good thing in my mind.

What do you think? What has your experience been?

Hello everyone. I can not speak to the Leica use, but for the last 10 months I have used three (3) SanDisk 16gb, class 10 cards in my Fuji X-E1. For the reasons you mention, I rotate the cards after each upload to my computer for PP work. Once every bit is safe & secured, I will format a (new) rotated card as it goes into the camera. Bill

Cards fail, but not very often. You are more likely to have one fall through the cracks of a boardwalk, or simply get lost when changing cards practically anywhere. They can even fall out of protective folders.

To guard against loss in unforeseen circumstances, I back up cards daily to hard drives and/or Blu-Ray discs. I try to have two backups on separate media before formatting and reusing the card. Sadly a BD only holds 25 GB, less than most memory cards. Fortunately I seldom take even 25 GB on a given day, so daily backups are still practical.

In response to the OP, question I use Sandisk Extreme 32 GB CF cards in my M9, and a combination of 64 GB UHS I and 128 GB UHS II cards in my Sony cameras. Sandisk cards are very reliable, and widely available from reputable sources. I have four 128 GB UHS II cards by Sony, but only because they were faster and cheaper than alternatives at the time (2017).

The computer with my photo library is not portable (and I’m going on a trip soon). I expect there are portable storage units with smartmedia card readers that I could download into on trips but I don’t have one at present, and buying a bunch of cards are probably cheaper. Otherwise I need only a card or two.

I don't have a M10. - I am usually buying the class 10 "bread & butter" Sandisks at my local electronics store. IMHO they work quite well in either an average beater or anything else just "used the touristy way". - Are you going to machine gun sports (or such) with your M10? - Or are you habitually rolling your eyes, while waiting for your M9 to flush it's buffer? - If not: Why would you need fast cards?

No clue about the right card size. Last vacations I took a 10" netbook along. They are out of fashion but can be had for cheap (used) and work well enough under Linux, even with just 1GB of RAM installed. Mine came with a 250GB HDD and holds the few snaps I am taking easily. If you bring an additional card reader or an Android device with a quite big micro SD card, you could keep a big card in your camera safe to Netbook and backup to smart device. - Just have a spare card to put into the camera as soon as the previously used main card starts bitching

I haven't discovered an Android USB OTG solution that would allow me to make backup copies from cards, so a portable (bit of a) PC is unfortunately the cheapest solution for data handling on the road.

Using a adapted micro SD card inside the Leica would allow puling it out in the evenings and copying files from there into the built in memory of an Android device, which of course would have to be quite expensive. I also don't like the micro SD form factor. - Regular SDs feel tiny enough for my taste.

I don't need fast cards, I just want appropriate cards in size and speed to the camera. I have 3 for the M9 and assuming they work, that's not enough to last me 4 days later this month. So I need to buy a few more and when I googled, I found that there were some posts which said that maybe the M10 didn't like some cards. Just thought I'd gather some info. No I don't burst shoot, I just shoot landscapes.

If I do this a lot, I could bring a laptop but it's not so easy because Aperture is on the home computer not the laptop. I could bring the laptop and create subdirectories and just copy the files to it (making sure to bring a card reader which the home computer doesn't need). Maybe I will, but cards aren't that expensive and I figure I probably only need a few more.

I don't expect them to fail, but they do so you might as well lose the fewest pictures you can right? I just don't want to put all my eggs in one enormous basket.

You don't need an editor in order to use a laptop to backup images. You need an external hard drive, possibly a BD burner, and the native file handler - Windows Explorer or Finder (OS X). A USB card reader costs $25 or less.

Micro SD adapters are notoriously unreliable. SD to CF adapters likewise.

You could argue that the most likely time to lose images is when changing cards. The larger the card, the fewer changes, and the less likely to drop or lose a card. It's always best to carry more memory than you think you'll need - twice as much for starters. Keeping the used cards obviates the need for a second backup, and the risk of formatting a card accidentally. For what it's worth, even forensic software can't necessarily recover data from a card formatted in the camera (Sony, at least).