What Material Background for Baby Portraits

jean_stevens1

<p>Hi everyone! <br>

I have decided on the Photoflex Pro-<br />Duty Backdrop Support Kit for my home studio, but now I need to decide what background material to use. <br>

My first subjects (and probably most frequently photographed!) will be my two daughters - aged 18 months and 5 months. <br>

I would really appreciate your recommendations on what material I should use (muslin, seamless paper, etc.) as well as what size to purchase (especially length). <br>

I'll be setting up the home studio in my living room (tall ceilings, open floor plan) whenever I want to take photographs. <br>

I'd also like the ability to take on-location shots for friends and family. <br>

P.S. I also own a Prius and with two car seats in the back seat, I won't have the ability to fold the seats down, but will have some space between the two headrests if I need it. <br>

Thanks!<br>

Jeannie</p>

<p>You might save some money and use digital backdrops - there are DVDs available online or make your own using Photoshop. The Magic Extractor tool (I use PSE 8) works pretty well for this and you can have any kind of background you want. You MIGHT want to try this with a black backdrop or get some green screen software. Have fun!</p>

<p>A seamless white background is a good choice for baby photos. A 10' roll probably won't fit in a Prius. A 5' roll should fit, but gives you a lot less flexibility.<br>

You could consider a light-colored (whitish, light blue) muslin cloth.<br>

I just did some dog photos using a 10' roll of white paper and am just tickled with the results and excited to use this for people photos.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>I have used seamless, muslin and other backdrops. But one I like for infants is what I call "baby fur." It's long-haired artificial fur fabric from a fabric store. Looks like polar bear fur. Rolls are typically anywhere from 48 to 60 inches wide, and you want a piece probably six feet long. You can sit the kid's car seat a a sturdy table, cover it loosely with the baby fur, run the fur a couple of feet up the wall and you've got a nice, soft, plush baby background. Would work for the five-month old, probably not so much for the 18-month old.</p>