what level of equipment do most photography students have?

sam_w3

Hi all, I've not been able to find out much on this and would be grateful for your insights. On average, what sort of level of equipment do photography students at uni tend to own, and what sort of equipment is available to them when it comes to cameras and lenses? (I use canon so speaking in terms of canon gear). Do students keep to the rebel end of things or are you more likely to see people using 5d's? Also, when it comes to lenses, I currently own a 40d with a sigma 10-20 4-5.6, a 17-85 and a 100 2.8 macro. I love the dof f2.8 gives me, and in an ideal world all my lenses would be 2.8 or better. However, what would a reasonable setup for a university student be?

<p>Are you a photography major, art major in another field, or art minor? 2 year, BA, or MA program? What university? Do they still have a darkroom?</p>

<p>Years ago, when I did a general BFA (only 2 or 3 photography classes) pretty much everyone had either a 35mm or beat up MF (more likely a TLR than an SLR). I used a Nikon FM2, a 50mm f1.4, 20mm f2.8, 35mm f2.8 PC (shift) 135mm f2.8,</p>

<p>These days, 4 year majors tend to accumulate a wide assortment of stuff, depending on budget. Generally not rebel level (either film or digital). MF film is common in schools still having darkrooms, because of the amount of amazing gear you can get used for ten cents on the dollar. Students with budgets that have them dining on Raman noodles are carrying Hasselblads... Slightly used higher end digital is common, you will see a lot of 5D. Macros are common, normal primes are common.</p>

<p>I see a lot starting with rebels (new ones, bought by proud parents or with HS graduation gift money) then switching to all sorts of things. The used camera market at any major university is fantastic. I can see getting through the first 2 years of a 4 year program with a 40D. Do you own a decent tripod? No one ever starts with a really decent tripod. Get that part of the equation in line first. And a remote release.</p>

<p>And have you considered a normal prime (anything from 24mm to 30mm on your 40d) like a Canon 28mm f1.8 (near perfect) or even a Sigma 30mm f1.4. Canon 24mm f1.4 is amazing, but expensive.</p>

<p> </p>

Yeah, I've held off on getting a tele for the moment as I don't want to throw good money after bad on a cheap tamron etc. I'd love the 70-200 2.8is. And hopefully I can make that a reality by september. Increasingly though I'm thinking that I would like the 2.8 dof for the wider end as well...a 24-70 2.8l would be ideal for this, although getting an 85 1.8 and a 50 1.8 may be more realistic. that might limit me too much though. I can't go on enough about how much I enjoy using 2.8 though, I've taken to using the 100mm macro for portraits more than its intended use!

I've applied for a 3 year ba in the uk. There is a dark room however the course outline gives the option of both film and digital for assignments. I'm using a low end manfrotto at the moment and can see the need for a more sturdier model. I do use a remote release, albeit rarely due to being able to set the 2second timer on the 40d. I do take a lot of photos at the 24mm mark, so getting a 28, 50 (1.8), 85 to go with the 100 macro would work well. Hopefully I could recoup some of the cost in selling off my 17-85.

<p>In your situation, I'd say the 40D can do pretty much anything you're going to need it to do for the next couple of years. By then, a used 5D II may be just the ticket. I'd still put the tripod and remote release as the first priorities...</p>

<p>Personally, I don't find primes too "limiting". I've been at this a few decades, and have accumulated enough stuff so I can go to an event with a few big zooms (70-200, 24-70, 17-35, all f2.8) possibly add on the 14-24mm f2.8 (a rather unique Nikon bit of glass) or go on a more artistic mission with a pile of primes (20mm f2.8, 24mm f2.8, 28mm f4 PC (shift), 35mm f2, 50mm f1.4, 85mm f1.4, 105mm f2.5, 135mm f2.0, 200mm f4 macro, 300mm f2.8).</p>

<p>Are you any good with manual focus? 50mm never really thrilled me on the crop cameras. I always found it feeling a bit short (80mm equivalent on a Canon, 75mm equivalent on a Nikon) when I grew up with a 135mm and 105mm on film Nikons). There's a really lovely Voigtlander 58mm f1.4 that's a 92mm equivalent on your 40D, much closer to 105mm equivalent, and its image characteristics really shine as a portrait lens. I don't think they have it in Canon mount, but you can get a Nikon mount adapter fairly cheaply. Another cool lens to pop on that Nikon mount adapter is the old Nikon 105mm f2.5 AI-S, for a classic 180mm equivalent. (OK, it's a few mm short, but it's close enough).</p>

<p>Sam:</p>

<p>It used to be that a basic SLR body and a 50/1.8 lens should be enough to get you through photo classes. I wouldn't go crazy buying the latest equipment just to learn.</p>

<p>I suspect you'll find at least one student in a class with a 5D or equivalent. You'll also find several with Rebels. Chances are good that the best pictures won't come from the students who spent the most on their equipment.</p>

<p>Eric</p>

<p>I agree with Eric...the students spending time on researching gear, the latest technologies, etc. are not spending enough time actually practicing what they're learning. If you don't have proper techniques and don't spend enough time learning and practicing, no amount of technology or the latest gear is going to make you better. That's all a marketing scam (best gear = best photographers). Practice practice practice with the gear you have! :)</p>

<p>You really shouldn't worry about it. As long as you are happy with your gear, and it meets what the school requires (some of the classes may require certain gear). The photography students I know have a Nikon D50, a Mamiya RZ67 ProII and various 35mm film equipment, another one with various 35mm film equipment, and one with at least one Canon 1Ds Mark II with L lenses. The one with the 1Ds works her ass off, specializes in sports, and has a photo in the Sports Illustrated's Best Photo's of 2008.</p>

<p>there will i think be a valid reason to move off ef-s lenses in the future in that when it comes to working with film ef mount lenses are backwards compatible with eos film bodies whereas ef-s lenses aren't. i also think ef-s lenses will depreciate quite quickly as full frame becomes more common. Potential resale value will also factor, l lenses tend to hold their value well, how about good primes such as the ones listed so far? i'm not too bothered with having older kit (i use a 550ex flash for instance), though the more i use my camera, the more i'm convinced that i'd benefit from faster lenses, 2.8 as a minimum. either way, looks like i'm saving hard until september.... :)</p>

<p>Hello Sam,<br>

For the basic college student your gear is fine. If you were doing sports or photojournalism then f/2.8 or faster would be my recommends. If I see to basic weakness in your system so far is lack of a long lens and lack of constant f/stop. You will find lenses with a constant f/stop invaluable for studio work. Long lenses are really great for portraits.</p>

<p>Sam - though you mentioned you applied to do a 3 yr BA degree, you didn't specify whether you are studying photography as major, a minor, or some other combination. </p>

<p>If you are majoring in photography any good program will take you through a variety of experiences and that includes exposing you to the wide variety of tools that exist by which you may ply your craft. As such, I wouldn't worry about getting anything else right now - just wait until you are in the classes and see what is required.</p>

<p>Also, I'm a bit surprised that the program would allow you to skip film altogether. I assume your program is not heavily art-biased? At least here in the States, the schools with which I am familiar still include film based classes, if the program is geared to produce artists. There is that distinction to be found - fine arts vs. business of photography (a.k.a. the imaging business.)</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>You should maybe try to get a 80-200 or a 70-300 mm lens to make your gear absolutely complete for a university stundet, buy it Sigma as all your other lenses or Tamron, but not Canon. Canon makes a lens 300 dollars more expensive just for having the brand logo somewhere.</p>