What kind of flash bracket do you use?

betty_lowrey

<p>I use the Stroboframe Camera-flip with both a D700 and a D300. It's fine for what I use it for - events mainly - since I like to flip the camera vs manipulating the flash. You use it with an SC-cord, 17, 28 or 29. Sturdy, but not too heavy, a bit bulky, and it's relatively affordable vs the Custom Bracket or RRS or other $300 brackets.</p>

<p>I use one I made myself, but similar to the Demb Flash Bracket. I also like the Flash Frame Flash Flip VF, and my Custom Bracket EV. You will find that flash brackets are a personal thing. I'd recommend either trying them out with everything you put on it, on it, or buying from a place you can return items to. Realize that a flash bracket affects how you use modifiers and whether you use a vertical grip/battery pack.</p>

<p>I don't use flash bracket and dot see any use for them unless you want to shoot with direct flash.I shoot with two cameras both fitted with vertical grips- one with 24-70mm 2.8 L and another with 70-200mm F4 L IS,and using flash brackets with two cameras will not be an easy feat.<br>

Also, indoors, since I dont use direct flash and prefer bouncing and even if that is not possible, i use a bounce card, so i dont feel bracket is of any use to someone who does not use direct flash.<br>

Cheers!</p>

<p>I use a Newton Bracket. It's tiny and light, and folds up small enough to fit in my pocket. The camera is held as usual, and the flash rotates around it. I prefer to use off camera flash when I can, or I'm bouncing the flash; I almost never use direct flash. The Newton bracket allows me to aim the flash anywhere I want while orienting the camera anyway I want. It offers many more direction options than relying just on the tilt/swivel of the flash. I find it very handy when using the Canon ST-E2 remote, as it allows me to aim the remote directly at the flash (I prefer Pocket Wizards, but sometimes the ST-E2 is fast and convenient).</p>

<p>http://www.newtoncamerabrackets.com</p>

<p>I use the Just-Rite bracket. As they say, "it's the last bracket you'll ever need to buy". It's sturdy, easy to use and has quick releases for everything including the flash head. It rotates on the axis of the lens so if you're on tripod at the back of the church and switch between horizontal and vertical, the image remains centered. There's even a place for a pocket-wizard and the bracket sits on its 4 feet without any part of the camera or lens touching anything. Check <a href="http://www.justritebracket.com">www.justritebracket.com</a> ...-Aimee</p>

<p>I use the demb diffuser pro, which is used like a LS so I just rotate the flash head. I used to use a camera flip until the battery pack made the camera plus sync cord in the shoe too big. So if you want a _2nd_ camera flip, I am willing to sell mine, too. Light, inexpensive, does the job. </p>

<p>The Demb bracket is nice, too. I like that I can place the flash at any angle quickly. I also worry that someday I'm going to tear the head right off the flash with all the flipping.</p>

<p>When I use a bracket it's the Stroboframe Flip 350. Lightweight but sturdy. I like it because it keeps the proper flash perspective when shooting horizontal or vertical. One thing to remember if you get the flash too high the flash might "miss" the target. Good luck.</p><div>00TCJa-129185684.jpg.5ec6610fb971ecb0f65efa5456d5745e.jpg</div>

<p>Any time a flash is mounted to the camera, you are simply more limited in where you can point it. When handheld, you can simply point it in any desired direction without having to fuss with getting the head pointed at the right angle. It's faster, in my experience. Plus, my flashes spin 180 deg. to the left and 90 deg. to the right, so if I wanted to foof in the blind direction, I'd be out of luck with the flash mounted.</p>

<p>Also, with some brackets that swing the flash, you can access all angles if your flash is limited, by using the swing arm. Also, you can simply take the flash off the bracket--my home designed bracket, I can take the flash off the bracket in about a second. The Demb flash bracket can actually extend your access and be even faster. You just can't make a blanket statement.</p>

<p>I think what has happened with flash brackets is that the cameras have gotten better and better at higher ISOs so flash tends to act more as fill than it used to ... which has led to just using a diffuser on the flash.</p>

<p>However, when conditions get really dark, or one is using a lower ISO, where the flash becomes the main light source, then having the flash slightly higher and directly over the lens axis helps drop shadows behind the subjects and eliminate those ugly side shadows.</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>"Steve C.--it isn't harder to foof with a bracket."<br>

"You just can't make a blanket statement."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Nadine, I think you just made a blanket statement. Which bracket? Any bracket? A $150 Stroboframe? A $29 Quantaray?</p>

<p>My point was a) it's my <strong>opinion</strong> that it's harder to foof with a bracket, versus being able to point the flash by hand in any direction readily (I'm giving my opinion, you're giving yours; we're not establishing photography law or anything here) and b) when a flash is attached to a camera, it is, by definition, more limited in where you can point it relative to the lens axis than if you're handholding it. And in my <strong>opinion</strong>, it's faster, lighter, less bulky, etc.</p>

<p>From there, the original poster can take any of our opinions and determine what works best for themselves.</p>

<p>Well Steve, it is not harder to foof with a bracket because with a tilt/swivel head, like most modern flash units have now, you just tilt/swivel the head. Being affixed to a bracket is no different from being affixed to the camera's hotshoe in this regard. So yes, it isn't harder with 'any' bracket. You can call it a blanket statement if you want.</p>

<p>I do not find that it is faster to loosen and detach the flash from the camera hotshoe than it is to do the same thing from a bracket or to push the flash with one hand, like you can with the Demb Bracket, so some brackets are faster to foof than taking the flash off--with that bracket, you can push and swivel in one motion. With my home made bracket, I take the flash off in about a second (no time lost loosening the flash lock dial), and I also have the option of pushing it at angles different than just above the lens axis. So with some brackets, foofing is easier and faster than taking the flash off.</p>

<p>If your flash has a swivel limitation, such as you mention, as I said above, some swing arm brackets and brackets like the Demb bracket, will cover your blind spot. My 580EX swivels all around, but my Metz 54 has the same blind spot as your flash.</p>

<p>The homemade bracket I have is compact, and I like it better, balance wise, than even just the flash on the camera hotshoe, because the flash isn't sticking up off the camera. The Demb Bracket is lightweight and fairly compact. So not all brackets are heavy and large. And sometimes, heavy is good, because it balances your camera and alleviates the stress on your hand (grip) muscles.</p>

<p>And, what is wrong with using a bracket when it makes sense, like Marc suggests, and not when it doesn't? This is why I mentioned 3 different ones above. I use them all, for different applications, when it makes sense to do so. I also use the flash just on the hotshoe sometimes.</p>

<p>Love and respect back at you, too. :^)</p>

<p>I have a Quick Flip Stroboframe 350 (310-635) that I would like to sell. I've had the camera on it once.<br />There is nothing wrong with it, it's new, I just decided I liked to work without it. Lots of people like them.<br />Perhaps I'm just not ready for one yet. Lots to learn. If you are interested please let me know.</p>

<p>I have a Quick Flip Stroboframe 350 (310-635) that I would like to sell. I've had the camera on it once.<br />There is nothing wrong with it, it's new, I just decided I liked to work without it. Lots of people like them.<br />Perhaps I'm just not ready for one yet. Lots to learn. If you are interested please let me know.</p>