What is your back-up plan for if you get sick ?

chimera_h

<p>So a client asked me tonight what happens if I get sick the day before or day of the wedding. Honestly, I would'nt have my second shooter do the wedding on her own. Do you have a list of people or, if you're a member of a local photography association, do they hook you up? Also, how does that work if your prices for a wedding are significantly different than other photogs? Meaning, I'm not charging $2500 like many local photogs (I'm less), so how does that work? Do I just find some who have similar styles to mine, then talk with them and ask to put them on the back-up list?</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>You don't get sick - If you have a temp of 103 you shoot anyway- just like the rest of us.<br>

To the client: I don't get sick!<br>

You could try talking to them, however during the "season" everyone is booked on the same key dates.<br>

Don't get sick, good luck.</p>

<p>I have had this question myself. I tell them about the time I shot with food poisoning (it was for a local newspaper). I shot and then spent forty minutes 'indisposed' and then I came out and shot again. If I can shoot then, I can shoot anytime.<br /> <br /> However, I am a member of a local PPA chapter and network with several other photographers. Gary is correct that they might all be booked at the last minute. You could also tell them that if you cannot make it, they don't have to pay you, but that will be meager comfort to them. They are really just looking for reassurances. But the truth is as Gary said - don't get sick (or don't let it stop you).</p>

<p>We all know we're there, one foot in the grave.<br>

But it's always good to network as much as you can with other local photographers... truly have a web of people you can reach out to in a real emergency. They'll help you get the word out... we all understand the necessity of this.<br>

Things can happen in an instant. Last year I was 1 block from bride's prep location and a motorcyclist hit my vehicle at high speed. I was 45 mins early, dealt with the accident and made it on time. (My mental state, another story but only I knew that) It reminded me that things beyond our control can happen when you least expect it. What if I had been hit head-on by another car?<br>

Have a wide net of contacts. Know how to put it in play quickly. Work out the details afterwards. We all understand.</p>

<p>That's not an easy question. In the middle of wedding season most decent shooters are already booked. After all, there are only so many Weekends available.<br>

Personally, I wouldn't be too smug about never getting sick ... it can happen to anyone. This stuff is very important, but it's sure not worth risking your life over. <br>

I have a legal blurb in my contract covering this ... and have hefty liability coverage specifically for such photo studio situations. <br>

Back-up may be the one advantage a big Photo mill has over the independent photographer. Actually, in a pinch where none of my associates or back-up shooters were available, I'd recommend one of those place as better than nothing ... any port in a storm.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>In the end, there are no guarantees.</p>

<p>I explain that if for some reason I am unable to cover the wedding, I'll try my best to find a backup. If the couple doesn't approve of my choice, I'll refund their entire amount.</p>

<p>The odds aren't likely that will happen. I've never bailed on a wedding. <knock on wood> That's not to say something won't happen to me or my loved ones in the future.</p>

<p>It *is* a risk. How to mitigate that risk? Have a backup, which means paying somebody potentially to do nothing. We buy equipment that we don't plan to use. It's the same idea. That said, I've never had any client that wanted to pay another photographer to act just as a backup. :)</p>

<p>Eric</p>

<p>I have a similar clause to Marc in my contract that says if I"m ill or unable to work I'll work with the client to find a backup and return any money received to date. I would also send my long-time assistant who knows my style, etc. I go over this contingency plan with all clients.<br>

That said, don't think the only reason you would miss a wedding is getting sick, what about injury, early labor, broken shoulder, etc. Also, a woman in my photographer networking group had her husband pass away unexpectedly a couple of days before a wedding, we all pitched in to help out where we could. She had kids to tend to, and a funeral to plan, shooting a wedding was the last thing she should have been doing.<br>

The key is the networking group, we keep an emergency email list of names, which also lists the photographer's style and usual choice of equipment.</p>

<p>I have mentioned on here several times, and either get blown off or poo-pooed about it. I call it living on a photographic island. If you're in a serious accident, or in a hospital with a serious illness, you obviously won't be shooting. You need friends that shoot and contacts. So do they. Networking and setting up plans with several conacts is essential, as well as places for emergency equipment or help with disaster "DURING" a job. You need friends, cell phone contacts, and to have a bagle and coffe with these folks once in a while. It's also good to get to know "mostly retired from shooting" people like me in your area, who have lots and lots of experience but seldom shoot any more. I just covered two jobs for a guy having surgery. Granted they were small partys, but they absolutely needed coverage. So, again I say, make a plan. In the older days this was a non-issue, even so called "foes" would immediately plan help for one another if possible because they knew "what goes around, comes around".</p>

<p><strong><em>Networking and setting up plans with several conacts is essential...</em></strong></p>

<p>Yes. I shoot 2nd for a few photographers that have agreements like this with each other. I'm on this list as well. It's really weird because they compete with each other fiercely but they all know this could happen so some kind of peace is maintained.</p>

<p>In the end there are no guarantees in life planes crash, bridges collapse and sometimes wedding photographers have accidents on the way to a wedding or are taken into hospital the night before. You can only do the best you can but you can't guarantee that what ever happens they will get their pictures on that day.</p>

<p>I am a member of a few local groups who all back each other up.</p><p>Other than that, I post about it and see who can cover me. I've had to cover my second on a couple occasions, but never myself. In fact, I once threw my back out doing something a few days before a wedding. I was in some pain, but I took 4 advil and shot anyway. I think I would have to have lose both arms AND legs, to excuse myself from shooting a wedding.</p><p>Don't get sick. :)</p>

<p>I'd ask the same back... what if you're sick on the day of the wedding? are you still going to get married? will I still get paid? let the discussions begin.<br>

I'm not a wedding photographer. and really the only references I have is a buddy of mine that runs a limo business. he's a member of a group that does back each other up when over-booked and/or sick. same with my friends that are doctors.</p>

<p>Back in 1997, i had just retired from my forty year vocation. I had some amateur photography background and a full array of Bronica gear as well as 35 mm. I had never done a wedding. I had just started with a newspaper as a stringer. The paper's receptionist 's wedding photographer backed out two days before her wedding. It happens. People get sick, have accidents and some are just irresponsible. She was desperate and I did her wedding with trepidation as I clearly did not know what the hell I was doing except that I could do good fill flash with Vivitar 283s. The weather was gorgeous by the seaside. I got some great pictures. Never, in my wildest dreams did I ever fantasize about being a wedding photographer. However, this led to a successsful photo business for me that lasted for several years. All that time I knew some newspaper types who could have substituted if necessary. Just remember it happens. Maybe one of you will back out of a wedding for whatever legitimate reason and start your replacement's career as well. Said with a smile. </p>

<p>"Ask the Bride what happens if she gets sick" Ha Ha. Like it.</p>

<p>There's sick and there's "sick". First sick is a crappy cold and you plug along feeling like chit. The other sick is when you have food poisoning like I did once and you start praying you don't die. There would have no way I could have functioned feeling like that.</p>

<p>I use my daughter - a pro shooter and accomplished wedding photographer - as primary backup and then 'exchanged' dates with other competent photographers - not all my dates, just the ones where my daughter is booked. <br>

However, there are questions which comes up after after you have the backup in place, i.e. what happens then? Who edits? Who makes the book? How's the fee divided? The actual wedding shooting is only part of the process after all....Dan</p>