What is the world coming to!!!!

nate_mertz

The Rebel, with its battery grip, only needs 4 AA's. This higher efficiency is why the new Rebel is truly the superior choice.

What's wrong with a brass lens mount? Actually the old plastic Rebel mount rarely ever caused a problem & brass is certainly superior to that. And as Alex points out, there are good reasons to keep dissimilar metals at friction areas. It also reduces wear.

Nate, you wouldn't, by any odd chance, have an axe to grind and just be trying to instigate some juvenile flame war would you? Gimme a break, go find another playground to start a scuffle on. There are LOTS of bigger things to worry about than the metal used for a lens mount. Some are even worth arguing about, this issue isn't.

--evan

My Nikon FE has a stainless steel mount, my F100 does not. I'm not sure when Nikon made the change to chrome plated brass but their thinking was that most people use zoom lenses now and rarely change lenses so why not save a few bucks! At least thet's the story I always here.

I would like to point that even if the f100 (which i own) sports a brass mount that is not the same so as to say it´s gonna break down in two years, at least i hope so, but IMHO a camera like this one deserves a steel mount like the F5 and most other nikon cameras (not the n90) and the only reason behind this Nikon decision is cost savings... not other one. There have already been a few reports about these brass mounts needing service repairing while being used with heavy lenses like the old nikkor AF 80-200 2.8 that did not have the tripod collar. I do have this lens too but still have not used it on my F100 (bought it 15 days ago) and i am considering upgrading to the collar version so as to avoid this issue. This should not be happening in a camera like the F100, not even in a n90.

Final point is even if nikon did not manufactured a perfect camera i still bought, it but i cannot find a decent reason so as to save money in such an important part. Same goes for the plastic rewind fork in the earlier F100 series that nikon had to replace cause it got breaken very often. I will always prefer to pay $30 extra bucks for the camera than to find a few years later that nikon policy has resulted in my camera to need service.

Nate, the quality of the mount depends on the particular brass and stainless

alloys being used. I think your frined has probably none something really

stupid to the N90 to "twist it up". i don't baby my gear -- i make my living with it

-- and I know many photographers who are a lot harder on their equipment

than I am and I've just never seen that happen without some incredibly

serious impact damage, like hitting the camera with a hammer or drop the

camera with a heavy lens(like a 300mm f/2.8 ) attached

Sorry Nate, but you're all wet. Stainless steel can be just as durable as brass in this application. There are many stainless steel alloys and many brass alloys and stainless steel and brass both tend to be soft. So bending is a 50/50 proposition. Brass has the advantage though of being naturally "lubricating". This means that when subjected to friction it slides rather than galls. This is why brass and bronze has been used for bearings and other friction wear surfaces for hundreds of years.<p>

As long as the mount isn't plastic I wouldn't worry.

geez, I am SORRY! Wow if I knew everyone would get so mad I would not have even of thought that. Cant you guys just explain to me why I am wrong instead of saying such things as,"Nate, you wouldn't, by any odd chance, have an axe to grind and just be trying to instigate some juvenile flame war would you? Gimme a break, go find another playground to start a scuffle on." Wow and you huys call yourself adults? Shame on you.

<i>Wow and you huys call yourself adults? Shame on you.</i>

<p>Sometimes, Nate, the way a question is worded will elicit the same type of response. And you are, of course, in the Nikon forum, bringing up a "good Canon vs. bad Nikon" topic, what did you expect? *grin*

It was never meant to be a good canon vs bad nikon thread. I am SOOOO sorry if it came off like that! After all I use and LOVE my Nikon FE. Which by the way has a steel lens mount. :) I just though it was strange because I just read in a magazine how much better a steel lens mount was.(apparently not everyone feels the same way!) I just think that some people(not naming any names) can be very rude when it comes to internet responses. Just please, PLEASE try not to be rude. Why dont you guys just try to be nicer, not all of you are rude. Most of the time I get responses that are helpful and free from rudeness. I am sad to say that this is not one of those times. After all, didnt your mommy's ever teach you to treat others the way you want to be treated?

Nate, perhaps if instead of "What is this World Coming to!!!!" you called the subject "Steel vs Brass Lens Mounts" and then followed with "According to a magazine article I just read, a stainless steel lens mount is superior to a brass mount. If this is true, why do you suppose the Nikon F100 (a professional body) uses a brass mount while the Canon Rebel ti uses stainless steel? <p>

Maybe then you would have gotten more mature responses. If you are going to write like this were an AOL chat room don't expect to get any respect, even from adults.