What is the Sunny 16 rule and does it apply to digital?

e_lin

The Sunny 16 rule means that on a sunny day, you can set your shutter speed to the reciprocal of your film speed (or whatever's closest), and the aperture to f16 *or any equivalent combination.*

For example, if you're shooting 100 speed film, you would shoot 1/125 sec at f16, or 1/250 at f8, or 1/500 at f4, etc. With ISO 50 speed film, that becomes 1/60 at f16, or 1/125 at f8, 1/250 at f4, etc.

I don't know if it works as well with digital, but I don't see why not. It would be fun to try experimenting to see.

aside from what has been explained, remember that the digital camera ISO rating is not what you think for a film. You have to test the ISO yourself to be sure it matches the same rated films. Often the ISO 50 in a digital camera is 65 or so. They tend to under rate the ISO in the specs.

As I recollect use 1/ASA at f16 for bright sun, (open two stops) f8 for overcast skies

and (three stops) f5.6 for shade. So for bright sun you could shoot 1/(ASA * 4) at f8.

Since one of my cameras does not have a light meter (or a battery for that matter),

these rules are useful.

No, it doesn't apply.

Well... the concept is the same, but since there is no f/16 and since you can check the actual exposure on the LCD before AND after the snapshot, I don't really see this rule being tremendously helpful.

However... don't forget digitals also include SLRs and medium format backs... both of which DO have f/16.