what is the ONE lens you can't live without at a wedding?

Discussion in 'Wedding and Event' started by brittany_r._dunks, Sep 3, 2010.

1. I'm just looking to see what people prefer to use the most.
    thanks.

2. I mainly use my Nikon wide 24-85 f/2.8. It has a great range to cover everything I need. I often hear other photographers say that they use primes, but frankly I don't think I could ever do it.

3. It would help, Brittany, if you mentioned the format of camera in question - because the gotta-have lens for a "full-frame" body is going to be different than the gotta-have lens for a smaller format, like APS-C. It will also depend on how the body handles higher ISO shooting. Different bodies have a big role to play in lens prioritizing.

4. Okay, well then the question is:
    What is the one lens you can't live without and on what body are you using it?

5. Good point, Matt. I use a full frame D700.

6. Brittany,
    I shoot almost exclusively with primes, so I would really hate to go to a wedding with just ONE lens. I typically shoot with two bodies, each with a different focal-length prime, and I usually change lenses at least once during the day. The lenses I use depend on the circumstances—what part of the day it is, how close I expect to be able to get to the subjects, etc.
    The lenses I use most often are, in roughly this order:
    • Sigma 28 f/1.8
    • Pentax 70 f/2.4
    • Pentax 40 f/2.8
    • Sigma 105 f/2.8
    • Pentax 21 f/3.5
    • Pentax 50 f/1.4
    • Pentax 35 f/2.0
    • Sigma 10-20
    That's with the 1.5x crop factor on my Pentax bodies, in other words, that 28 = 42 in full-frame terms, or close to "normal" field of view.
    If I had to shoot a wedding with just one wedding (unthinkable, but for the sake of the game) I'd pick either the 28 or the 40, I think, probably the 28 f/1.8.
    Back when I was using zooms, I remember thinking that, in a pinch, I could probably shoot an entire wedding with the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8. I think that's still true.
    Will

7. Back when I was using zooms, I remember thinking that, in a pinch, I could probably shoot an entire wedding with the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8. I think that's still true.​
    Exactly. I've said it before and I'll say it again. If I had to I could do a whole wedding with my 24-70/2.8 (or a full frame body). Might not be my best work, but I could get the images I needed to. To reinforce that fact, I often brought a Rebel with a 17-55/2.8 IS as a "backup to the backup". Not the top of the line, but would give me a much needed paddle if I found myself up the proverbial "s--t creek".

8. William Michael

William Michael Moderator Staff Member

"Okay, well then the question is: What is the one lens you can't live without and on what body are you using it?"​
    APS-C format = 24/1.4
    135 format = 35/1.4
    645 format - 80/leaf
    I'm just looking to see what people prefer to use the most:​
    APS-C format = 85/1.8
    135 format = 135/2
    645 format - 80/leaf.
    WW

9. What Josh said- Now, D700 FF bodies, 24-70mm f/2.8; Two years ago, D200 APS-C bodies, 17-55mm f/2.8.

10. If there is indeed a lens that people can't live without, the devil's advocate in me asks if everybody naming such a specific lens brings an identical backup lens, too. :)
    I don't have one lens that I absolutely can't live without. I have primes that cover from 24/1.4 to 135/2 and a zoom from 24-105/4. Camera bodies are full 35mm frame and 1.3x crop. I wouldn't go to a wedding without the combination.
    Eric

11. On the D2X or D3 - 70-200 AFS VR f2.8
    50 F1.4
    17 - 35 F2.8
    Basic Kit for a Photojournalist. Absolute favorite - 70-200 AFS VR F2.8.

12. On the D2X or D3 - 70-200 AFS VR f2.8
    50 F1.4
    17 - 35 F2.8
    Basic Kit for a Photojournalist. Absolute favorite - 70-200 AFS VR F2.8. For the wedding. 17 - 35 F2.8. 2X SB-800 with the little dome thingy. Stick and a cord.

13. Eric makes a good point, and I don't have identical copies of every lens, but I do have a range of both primes and zooms that can cover a wedding or other event quite well.
    I shoot a pair of Nikon D300s. My can't-live-without lens is my AF-S 50mm f/1.4. I've shot an entire wedding with this one lens before.
    On the other hand, my most used lens seems to be my AF-S 17-55mm f/2.8. It's on one body nearly 100% of the time. On the other body is usually either my 50mm f/1.4 or a 70-200mm f/2.8 depending on the situation.

14. APS-C
    24-70 f/2.8
    It does get a bit cramped in very tight quarters though.

15. deleted.

16. D300 body - 70 -200 f2.8 and a Tamron 17-50 f2.8
    D700 body - 70-200 f2.8 and a Tamron 24 - 135 f3.5
    Dave

17. My Nikon 85mm f1.4.
    It pays the bills.

18. All Full frame:
    25-105mm F4L
    70-200mm F2.8L IS
    85mm F1.8
    which one is my favourite..... well that's easy, the 70-200! If I could only use one lens it would have to be the 24-105 as a great all rounder, but that said I usually have about 8 lenses in my bag at each wedding so I am very well covered.

19. D700 with AF-S 28-70mm f/2.8D.

20. The only lens I have ever used at a wedding is the 90mm on my RB67.

21. A lens may have a little advantage in some cases but essentially, every lens can be replaced by some other lenses. So no lens there is that we can't live without. We always have a lot of choices. Like if you don't have the 50mm 1.4, the 50mm 1.8 is not much less, or the 1.2 may even be better
    In fact, some of us may consider a lens as a "must-have" and a few months later, he/she moves on to some thing else. (The King is dead. Long live the King)

22. On "full frame" (read film) my "can't live without" was the 50mm f1.8. On half frame digital it has become the 35mm f1.8.
    Although I have other lenses and would love to have more, if push came to shove I could shoot practically anything with just that one simple prime, it just requires a little more thought, and walking back and forth.
    I know that I am probably going to get roasted by all the fanboys of lens X or Y, but hey, everybody is different! And you did ask...

23. I'd agree with Josh, even though I'm not a fan of zooms, especially midrange zooms.
    But then, I'm not a fan of the shots that I bring a 24-70 for either: processionals, document signing, cake cutting, and bouquet toss ... when the client wants/demands/epects them. Fast primes are what I prefer along with un-staged candid photography.
    The 24-70 is also a single lens back-up to most any prime I'm using ... just in case. So I don't have to bring two 24s, 35s, 50s or 85s.
    I use FF cameras.

24. my 85mm 1.2
    I'm sure I could live without it, but now that I have it, I don't want to! I love it!

25. now that i have a full frame camera (5d), i find my 70-200 2.8 a lot more useful. it was just too long most of the times on the 40d. so the lens i enjoy the most is my 70-200 on the 5d, but if i had to take only one lens with me it would be the 17-55 2.8 on my 40d.

26. My only "can't live without" lens is the one I am using.
    I use the 85 on FF as my preferred lens, and either a 24 or 35 on another body as it suits the situation.
    Most of the day though, it's a 17-55 (or Tamron/Tokina)/2.8 on a crop body, then an 85 on a FF for the other.

27. 35mm f2.0

28. In 40 years of shooting, I've only owned one lens that I ever considered indispensable:
    24-105 F4L
    I use it on a 5D Mark II that I shoot at 3200 iso and get spectacular photos with it.
    I have other lenses that get the job done, but if I had to run for my life and grab one, that would be it.
    h

29. Wel, seeing as how you said the ONE lens, and everyone else is listing 3-4 I will try and stay true. The one lens I could not live with out is my Canon 50 1.2L :)

30. Do we win a prize if we guess the right answer?

31. Nikkor 24-120 f/4 VR on full frame.

32. William Michael

@ Bob B: . . . :)

33. I could shoot an entire wedding with my Canon 70-200 L. Love it. A lot.

34. I use so many, that is hard question, but I would have to say my 24-70 2.8, but my 70-200 2.8 comes in pretty close :)

35. William Michael

I could shoot an entire wedding with my Canon 70-200 L. Love it. A lot.
    what camera?
    WW

36. 50/1.4 on a 'full-frame' dslr.

37. My all time favorite is Nikon 24 70
    Carolyn

38. Today it would be my Tamron 18-270mm on Canon D7, but that can change by tomorrow when the subject I am shooting changes. My bad I did not read the part about wedding , I don`t shoot weddings.
    Jim Ducey

39. I still want to know if we win a prize! If so I will tell you my setup!!! : }

40. haha. If someone would like to donate a prize to the cause, I will certainly allow you to win it!
    I have a 5d and 5d mark ii and use the 24-70 2.8L and 70-200 2.8 probably just as much as one another. I have a 50mm 1.8 prime and a 30mm 1.4 (for when I had my 40d) but I want to add some more primes into the mix.
    I think I am going to get the 85/1.8 and maybe the 135/2.0, or maybe a macro too.

41. OK Brittany,

If the event is close to the studio I use a rented 1200mm Canon lens, climb to the roof of my building and shoot the whole wedding from there, providing it's an outside wedding. Roof top weddings are cool because I can order pizza, have a few beers with some friends! :}

Anyway, I have a mess of lenses, primes to zooms ranging from a fish eye to 400mm's. The lens that gets the most use is the 24-105 Canon. I'm using full frame bodies.

Everyone seems to worry about primes being much sharper than zooms, which is perhaps true, but I'm not after that look. In fact for close up work I use a "Softar 1," filter to dull the imperfections of people. I've tried several filters through the years but I find the Softar 1 meets my needs.

I think Nadine uses this filter too.

Off the subject a bit, when editing my images in photoshop RAW I change the contrast setting from plus 25, the default setting, to minus 6. I change other setting as well, but thats the main one. Minus 6 really softens the images, which looks more like film. A forgiving feel. I'm sure many people will disagree with me. I've shot weddings since the late 1980's and I used a Softar filter way back then. Hasselblad lenses were simply too sharp. Primes are too sharp. This filter takes that hard look off faces. The cool part of this Softar filter is the images don't have that out of focus look.

Anyway I hope I win something!!!