What is the best lens for Studio Photography?

Wide angle? What sort of subjects will you be shooting? Wider angle lenses rarely flatter portrait subjects.

On an APS-C format sensor, a 50mm lens means that you can get a full-body shot of a typical standing adult from about 15 feet away. That doesn't leave you a lot of room for backdrop and lights, etc, unless you're able to shoot diagonally - which also has problems, depending on your set.

If your room is already configured, take some test shots with a model (close-ups and full body) with your lighting and tripod positioned. Then check the max and min focal lengths that you used.

This is a great article comparing perspective distortion on 85mm vs 100mm vs 135mm:

http://www.wlcastleman.com/equip/reviews/85_100_135/perspectest.htm

So it would be roughly comparable to comparing 50mm and 85mm on a crop sensor.

I'd love to see the same comparison showing wide-angle perspective distortion using 16-35mm vs 50mm lenses for portraiture on a 40D or XSi.

I use these three lenses 14-24mm f/2.8, 28-70mm f/2.8 and the 70-200mm f/2.8. I have used these lenses in such tight

areas with my portable studio (<a href="http://www.geocities.com/stalker+of+the+web/norman.html"

target="_blank">Norman ML600R</a>), with the DX and FX format. My favorite lens for head shots with FX format is the

70-200mm. When space is tight and I am shooting DX format I like the 28-70mm for Head shots.

• 1 year later...
<p>Its about 8 years that i am doing social documentary photography, I have also done a small studio photography based on products. now I have a Canon 30D with the lens 18-200 f/3.5-5.6 IS. I am trying to learn studio photography, I am wondering if this lens is any good for studio photography? can anyone help me in this matter?</p>