What is sandwiching

ccommins

I am taking a course in fine art flower photography. Looking through my

upcoming lessons I see sandwiching. Is that the same as layering? Our

instructor shows you photos and what was used to take it, but not how to do

it. He is very to the point with no explanation. I wanted to get a head start

on this ( basically I didn' want to look stupid )I paid alot of money for this

course and I really need to pass. Anyone that can help, or has photos for

examples, I would greatly appreciate it. My photo software is PSE 5.0.

<a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandwich_printing>See here. You're going into the world of wet photography. </a><p/>"basically I didn' want to look stupid"<p/>An instructor that belittles their students is unprofessional, incompetent and shouldn't be teaching. And as far as looking stupid, I do it all the time here :-) ...but I sure do learn a lot!

Have you seen any of the results yet? Did they look "dreamy"? Slide sandwiching is often used to great a dreamy look sometimes referred to as "Orton" imagery (after its creator, I believe). A search on Orton photography will turn up a few descriptions.

Open two shots in the advanced edit window. Move them into layers. Move one layer over the other so that the bottom layer is hidden. Then lighten the opacity of the top layer to see through to the bottom layer. That should get you started anyway. Slide sandwiches though, seem to have more character.

If you put two separate slides together in the same mount, you have a slide sandwich. Each slide could be of a different scene; or the same scene but one slightly out of focus or lots of other combinations. It's demonstrated in a number of books, Freeman Patterson, Brenda Tharpe and Tony Sweet all come to mind. I couldn't find any examples in a quick search on Patterson and Tharpe but there are some examples on Tony Sweet's site at:

http://www.tonysweet.com/Portfolios/Abstracts/Abs.html

It is probably more common today to do it digitally by blending layers, using Gausian Blur, the Opacity slider, using different scenes etc. A montage basically. Michael Orton's technique (mentioned above) is a technique I like and have used it often. Googling his name will provide several references as will using "slide sandwich."

Here is a <a href="http://pcin.net/update/2006/11/01/the-orton-effect-digital-

photography-tip-of-the-week/" >"digital equivalent"</a> for slide sandwiching, totally

doable in PSE 5.

This tutorial is for images in perfect register. Michael Orton often applies this technique to

images not in perfect register, or occasionally, of entirely different subjects.

Thank you for all your help. Members on PN always come through for me. I took a course in PSE 5 and now know that layering is what he was referring to. I also have the book Botanical Dreaming by Mark Johnson he uses both terms. So now I feel more comfortable going into that lesson. Since I am the oldest one in the class (including the instructor) I like to stay one step ahead. Some think us older people belong in the home, but not me. Thank you again for all your help.