What is Canon "White Box"

tony_law

<p>Usually Canon packs all refurbished products in a plain white or brown boxes and they are clearly labeled as refurbished. Maybe that's the indication, although B&H is pretty good about indicating if the product is a refurb. There is a link on the item requesting an return email describing it as a refurb and the warranty conditions.</p>

<p>Ask <em>them</em>. In particular, you would want to know it's status, ie: new vs used, and it's warranty. There is a B&H employee who is a member here, who might respond. But still, if someone is offering an item for sale, and the terms and conditions are not clear, you owe it to yourself to ask the seller.</p>

<p><em>I was looking for the EF 24-105 f/4 L IS USM lens at BH photo. One labeled (White Box) cost $100 less than the non "white box" EF 24-105 lens. What is a "White Box" lens?</em><br>

<em></em><br>

Some of the new listing on BH Photo are confusing. I have been a long time customer there and yesterday I just noticed the "White Box" lenses. I don't know what that means but I would second Mendel's suggestion and say ask BH. I have always found BH to be straight shooters.</p>

<p> I can't find the $100 difference. There is a $35 difference between non-White Box USA and White Box import for this particular lens. There is a $20 difference between non-White Box USA and White Box USA. This would tell me that the difference is not just import or non-import.<br>

I hope BH will clarify this!<br>

Cliff</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>It was includes in Canon 5D package as kit lens. Dealer sold the 5D separately.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Phil nailed it: white box 24-105 was part of a camera/lens kit that was split and sold separately. The box is white because it is contained inside a larger box with standard graphics. If the kit was intended for USA sales, it includes the standard USA warranty card inside. If the kit was intended for sale outside the USA, it is considered gray market.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>I can't find the $100 difference. There is a $35 difference between non-White Box USA and White Box import for this particular lens. There is a $20 difference between non-White Box USA and White Box USA. This would tell me that the difference is not just import or non-import.</p>

<p><br /><a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=ef+24-105&N=0&InitialSearch=yes">http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=ef+24-105&N=0&InitialSearch=yes</a></p>

<p><br />The first 2 prices USA and Import and half page down is the non "White Box" version clearly there is a $100 different in price. This make me ask about the "white box" lens. <br />Thanks everyone's feed back. I will contact BH in the morning and find out the answer.</p>

<p>I work in a camera shop. White box lenses are split from kits. The kit price of body plus lens or lenses is lower than that of the individual items so they can sell the body and lens separately for less. The lenses are of identical quality, come with the same guarantee but are not eligible for rebates.</p>