What is a Torpedo finder?

Discussion in 'Leica and Rangefinders' started by ray_moth, Oct 31, 2002.

1. Thanks for all the information, Christopher and JDMVW. No need for me to post photo of the VIDOM as everyone either knows what it looks or can find a photo of it on the Net. The trick is seeing the world upside down as I shoot. Disconcerting the first day. More fun today. HCB said it helped him frame better. I'm sensing that. I am using it on the Fuji X-E1 with a Fuji autofocus 35/1.4 (=50). Closeups are tricky--more so than with other external finders I've used. The VIDOM is wonderfully clear. Nothing I've shot is worth posting yet but I am having fun. Thanks again.
  2. Kind-of like shooting a TLR with only the waist level finder with everything reversed. Been years since I shot with a Rolleiflex and would probably take some getting re-used to today.

A fun way to get into the “feel” of a period camera alright. I’m afraid though, if it was me now, I’d spring for an Imarect finder, LOL.
    Alex_Es likes this.
  3. I was about to start questioning my sanity as I have a "pointy" external finder and I remember it being correct left to right. It seems as though mine is an "Imarect" VIOOH. I know that's a totally different matter from what's being discussed here, but mine seems a good match for my IIIc with a 35mm lens.

I use TLRs occasionally still and WLFs on SLRs all the time, but I don't know how I'd do with a reversed eye-level. The WLF changes my perspective somewhat and helps me to mentally shift gears to everything being laterally reversed.
    Alex_Es likes this.
  4. The Imarect may be a marketing contraction for "Image Erect". The first time I ever saw the finder in use was by my father on his Leica IIIc with the f3.5 35 Summaron lens. That would be in the early 50's. It has seen a lot of use.
    Alex_Es likes this.
  5. Like Mr. Von Weinberg's link indicates, "Torpedo" viewfinders are typically single magnified and just One or Two frame views.
    Typically less expensive than the Leitz/Leica offerings, the Zeiss made units are amazing in their choice of materials & overall quality.

Mounted to a Contax IIa and accompanying 8.5cm f/2 Sonnar
    This is the ultra compact & equally impressive, diopter & parallax corrected 'German' Zeiss model #438 "Torpedo" VF
    Featuring 85mm full view magnification with 135mm brightlines.​
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    Alex_Es likes this.